Weather.com Text Alerts

14 Responses to “Weather.com Text Alerts”

1. murray says:

Unless they’ve improved it since I used it, you’re going to get annoyed and disable it pretty soon. I used it a couple years ago but it became very tiresome getting the same weather warnings over and over again – especially when it considered “extreme” weather to cover a far too wide range of conditions.

2. murray says:

Admittedly, I do live in Oregon.

3. eli says:

Well, It is years since I have this Weather applet in my Ubuntu Awn dock. very useful. Anyway, nothing better that poking your nose out of the window to check temperature, wind, rain, and how other people are dressing.

4. Paul Coleman says:

What I really need is an alert when rain is going to hit my specific location within 15 minutes. In the summer, I’m often out working on my farm and would love to know if those clouds I can barely see above the treetops are packing a punch or are just going to pass over. This becomes particularly critical when I’m harvesting something that shouldn’t get wet post harvest (like garlic).

Though I understand how complex this is, all the data is there (wind, existing precip). To some degree they already do this with storm tracks, but only if it’s a storm of a certain strength. What I need is to be able to feed a GPS coordinate to a weather server and have it yell at me if anything is coming soon.

• cjp says:

The technology is available for your idea, but the personnel staffing the weather offices is the issue. For instance, in Canada, only Environment Canada can issue warnings, but they are understaffed and often these alerts come too late (sometimes with dire consequences).

I have ‘push’ weather on my HTC smartphone which updates as often as I wish, and changes locations when I do because I have the GPS enabled. Very handy. You need a local radar feed that will do the same thing.

• Paul Coleman says:

I guess part of the problem for me is that I’m too cheap to get a smartphone and a data plan. If I had one, I could just pull up the latest radar images and go with that. Then again, I’d probably spend more time looking at my phone than I should and lose all productivity.

Something that simply beeps at me and says “rain’s a comin’” would be far more valuable.

Someday I’ll have my wish.

I like http://umbrellatoday.com/. It’s a similar concept – a text when it’s supposed to rain – and it’s saved me from downpours on many occasions.

6. RorySantino says:

I use the free service only for severe weather alerts. Awfully handy in the Ozarks, as we can have storms any time of the year. We just had multiple tornado warnings on the 31st and my text messages came in several minutes before the sirens went off (I’ve gotten alerts as much as five minutes before the sirens). Choose a distinct tone for their alerts and you are set…

7. NESJumpman says:

Accuweather in Wisconsin is anything but accurate – I lost count how many times it told me it was “partly sunny” in the middle of a thunderstorm…

The Weather.com alerts are nice for the summaries but if you also sign up for the extreme weather alerts (tornado watch / warning, blizard watch/warning) then it will get annoying fast. It seems like every time something changes about the current alert it gets sent again. Sometimes it makes sense like the time period has changed but other times it is hard: it might be something like changing expected snow fall from 4 inches to 4.5, and then back.

8. futnuh says:

You could just move to Vancouver and carry an umbrella everyday …

9. JM says:

Nice…

I only use the AccuWeather add-on for Firefox, which is very accurate indeed (I’m in Santiago de Chile). However, I don’t really give a shit about using umbrellas or anything, I like getting soaked if it’s raining and sweat like a horse if it’s 40ºC outside. I just use it to be informed and tell my gf “hey, it’s going to rain… you might want to take an umbrella. I love you.”

It’s the sweetest thing.

10. narddogz says:

I live near Portland, Oregon. A rain text alert would be a constant nuisance and just drain the battery.

A sunshine alert might be useful however.

11. chgoliz says:

The first thing I do after waking up is grab my iTouch (which is also my alarm) and click on The Weather Channel app. I get the same info that way, right when I want/need it.

I figure, if I want to know the weather, I’ll ask for it. Why should I have a piece of machinery beeping at me just because it’s scheduled to?