Renaissance painter Arcimboldo's fruit and vegetable portraits

20 Responses to “Renaissance painter Arcimboldo's fruit and vegetable portraits”

1. blendergasket says:

Woooow!!! Anyone know if this is coming to the west coast? I just quantified my love for his art and it turned out to be enough for a trip anywhere between mexico and vancouver on the west coast, but sadly not enough for a trip to DC.

2. Matvey says:

And if you’re going to go see it in DC, do it in a hurry – the exhibit closes on Sunday.

While I worked at Futurate, we produced an in-house php/flash test app that allows you to create just these sorts of pictures: http://oldmasterflash.com/

It’s not finished (being only a proof of concept), but feel free to have a play with it :-)

4. Talia says:

Reminds me of one of my favorite children’s books, ‘On Market Street’ by Arnold and Anita Lobel.
    It’s full of characters elaborately costumed in items like books, donuts, vegetables, etc..

this page has a screen shot of a couple of the illustrations.

It’s WONDERFUL. I would spend hours pouring over the illustrations.
    I miss it and I should get myself a copy just to have.

5. slgalt says:

Typo: Says 60th century.

60th century? Impressive.

Vegetable art! From the FUTURE!

“In the late 60th century”… he is/was/will be a time traveler?

9. Pantograph says:

I’ve always thought of Archimboldo as a time-traveller from the future. I see I was right!

• I worked with the 4th graders at St. Joseph School to create this quick collage project February 2008.

• Our In Touch with Art lesson this week is based on the art of Giuseppe Arcimboldo, who was an Italian painter, born in Milan Italy in 1527, best known for creating imaginative portrait heads made entirely of such objects as fruits, vegetables, flowers, fish, and books — that is, he painted representations of these objects on the canvas arranged in such a way that the whole collection of objects formed a recognizable likeness of the portrait subject.

• I provided clippings of food items from magazines which the students chose and glued to black card stock. The kids were very excited and intuitive about just trusting their instincts and several students created as many as a half dozen of the collages in an hour and a half. These were finished in a second ninety minute session by students creating their Baroque golden frames fashioned from more food, namely a variety of dry pasta glued and painted gold as seen here.
    - JoDavid

…and if you can’t make it to DC, but find yourself in Denver, there are two of Archimboldo’s fruit-faced portraits in the Denver Art Museum’s permanent collection (6th floor, North Building).

Maybe that’s just what people look like in the 60th century.

13. goldmineguttd says:

In the late 60th century, Giuseppe Arcimboldo painted witty, surreal portraits of people composed of fruit, vegetables, animals, and everyday objects.

First person to write a scifi story based on this premise wins.

14. Artimus Mangilord says:

There are two of his works at the old building of the Denver Art Museum. Each are male profiles based on summer and fall harvests, respectively. I seem to remember an employee telling me those would be leaving the gallery when I was there a couple months ago; must be in DC now.

15. BTWBFDIMHO says:

And Lady Gaga will combine that pattern with her meat dress. Ranch, French or Italian?

Vegetable Man, where are you?

17. ransom notes says:

For folks who adore stop-motion photography AND veggies, my friend Annabelle Breakey (an amazing food photographer) created 2 projects inspired by Giuseppe Arcimboldo.

please view “king” and “queen” at: http://www.annabellebreakey.com/#/motion

check out the rest of her photography too, you might recognize a lot of it!