Thieves rip off SIM cards from Johannesburg's traffic signals

10 Responses to “Thieves rip off SIM cards from Johannesburg's traffic signals”

1. HD says:

Calls don’t really cost much if anything; that’s just hyperbole. Correct me if I’m wrong and we’re paying fair market value for cell phone calls.

2. Ugly Canuck says:

My what clever swine!

3. Zac says:

Oy . . . what a mess. I can see how the people designing this system would overlook this potential issue . . . but on the other hand, how could you overlook this potential issue? You get enough people together and few of them are bound to be shitheads. That’s like physics or something.

• cservant says:

Most likely it’s designed by committee then a few smart engineers.

I also think the statment “traffic lights scattered across the city use a sim card, modem and GPS system to send and receive information.” tells you alot about the design.

Think about it carefully, you NEED 400 GPS points that tend to stay in one area? How dense is Johannesburg, does GPS work in all areas? Is there a great probability the next point is less then 1km apart? Why not use a map and coordinate system, instead of 400 units of GPS?

4. OmIsMyShield says:

@frijole – you don’t really get “data-only” SIM cards in SA, due to various reasons; most with words like “regulatory body” and “oligopoly” and other things too irritating to discuss.

The LOL bit is you do get services in SA where the SIM is only loaded with prepaid data bundles, monitored, and reloaded as necessary. Did no-one at the JRA even google? Bad. But funny.

Lauren Beukes approves.

6. frijole says:

Why wasn’t the service provided to these cards data-only? If I pop the SIM card out of a USB modem and put it in an unlocked phone, I can’t place a call.

“…used to make unlimited calls that have cost JRA a lot of money…” ah, that’s why. Why would the telco want to help JRA avoid this situation, when they’ll get paid for it?

Hands up.
    Who DIDN’T see these sort of things coming?

Oh, this is too futuristic.

Approval-Cat approves approvingly.