15 Responses to “Tunisia: Amid massive protests, prime minister takes power while president flees”

So, Tunisian Teabaggers. That cagey Sarah Palin, she’s everywhere.

Finally I can watch all these Youtube videos that are posted to BoingBoing!! =D

3. noah says:

NPR has had pretty good coverage. They talked live to a correspondent–Elanor Beardsley, their usual correspondent in France–on Morning Edition earlier today. She was in Tunis; she even got tear gassed!

4. andigopow says:

FOX News: Teens Seeking Plastic Surgery to Combat Bullying

CNN: “Hold the Fries,” a report on overhauling school cafeterias.

MSNBC: Ricky Gervais Unleashed

• mindysan33 says:

Honestly, I think those headlines, right there, sums up all that is wrong with modern American media today. This seems to be an incredibly important event unfolding right now in Tunisia, and it’s being generally ignored by all the major commercial “news” outlets. More and more, I think that Greenwald is right about the American media being the lapdogs of power. we are being hideously underserved by the 4th estate.

NPR isn’t perfect , but 9 times out of 10, they get closer to what matters more so than these commercial entities. Al Jazeera English often gets it right, too. It’s a shame that only one cable company, in like New Hampshire, or something, carries it in the US. Glad I can watch/read it online…

• Anonymous says:

Odd, I see Tunisia articles at the top headline on all three sites, and can’t find any of the aforementioned articles even on the front ‘page’. Maybe personalization settings are contributing to the difference?

5. arborman says:

I wouldn’t underestimate the impact of the Wikileaked cable either, if only as a catalyst.

The assasination of that Archduke didn’t singlehandedly start WWI, but it was a catalyst. All the other stuff had to be in place or it would have been a page 10 story. Ditto Tunisia – poverty, unemployment and the rest were in place already, but the cable may well have been a catalyst.

• Anonymous says:

the leaks (plural!) have obviously helped the u.s. governments decision to speak out.

it’s good to see ben ali leaving office, that is something i never thought could possibly happen. it’s not at all clear how the situation will develop and to what degree it can improve.

please continue the coverage.

.~.

• Ugly Canuck says:

“The assasination of that Archduke didn’t singlehandedly start WWI, but it was a catalyst.”

Indeed: a catalyst which engaged the provisions of SECRET treaties, which dragged Nation after Nation into a slaughter which none of them had wanted; and which slaughter might have been avoided, had the provisions of those SECRET treaties been known more widely than they had been.

Having just now read that cable, after you pointed it out above, I can only add to what is found therein, that if that cable’s release has had an influence in removing a regime which apparently and in fact no longer enjoyed the support of its people, then so much the better!

• Teller says:

In the case of WWI, the various provisional plans of the region’s armies went into motion “in anticipation” of others’ armies executing their plans. Once they were all in motion, there was no stopping it.

6. poolaka says:

I heard that Lucas is planning another Star Wars movie. I can understand why they’d be upset.

7. Ugly Canuck says:

Occasionally holding free fair and open elections would go a long way to seeing off these kinds of tumults before they ever have a chance to start.

This kind of disorder is what usually happens when a population will no longer suffer a particular person holding authority over them.

Finally! This story has been completely absent from US coverage. I’ve spent time in Tunisia and have been in contact with my friends there, and they are ecstatic about Ben Ali leaving. I wish them all the best.

9. Mister44 says:

I just hope everyone at the Skywalker homestead are ok.

OH – you bastards!

10. bcsizemo says:

How long before this happens here in America….?

I’m not saying I want bloodshed or violence…but the ills of government don’t seem to be fixing themselves. Or listening to the people either.

Left/right/liberal/conservative…even an 8 year old can tell you that it’s a good idea to not spend more money than you have.