Buddhist temple inspired by superheroes and Keanu

10 Responses to “Buddhist temple inspired by superheroes and Keanu”

A Thai person, living in Bangkok, here.. This somewhat over-the-top design really reflects his over-sized opinions on many things. I heard him being interviewed on TV and he seemed very unconventional and bombastic. However, drawings on temple walls in Thailand tend to reflect the current feeling of the time and normal everyday things. On some early Bangkok period temples, you can find depictions of lives hundreds of years ago. Not always in pious poses, too, but scenes of people going shopping for foods, fornicating, playing cards, women breast-feeding, men going off to war, people drinking, foreigners mingling with the common folks, etc. These paintings as well as various stucco found in temples give us snapshots of what the normal lives of people was like way back then. A couple of nights before, there was a piece of news on the TV about artists incorporating images of Doraemon and Nobita on temple walls.

Of course, you can also find scenes of people being punished for sinning as well, but that’s to be expected, isn’t.

2. toothandclaw says:

Looks like it’s time for me to convert.

3. 2k says:

Any time.
    ANY TIME?!?
    Anytime.

4. papiermeister says:

Wow! Gorgeous! Really, really beautiful!

5. facetedjewel says:

I’ve also felt inspired by Keanu Reeves but, um, with different results.

6. Fdbyij says:

I’ve been here a few times as I live quite close to the temple

apart from Keanu cs, it also has images of booze, blackberries, kalashnikovs etc. the temptations/goodies/evils (you pick) of modern life

The construction/decoration is still in progress and the temple is a popular tourist destination, particularly for the Thai

7. Chevan says:

That’s also the front end of a Star Wars podracer that Bumblebee is standing on.

8. bat21 says:

Having a painting of Keanu in a Buddhist temple is kind of appropriate. He played Prince Siddhartha in the Bernardo Bertolucci film “Little Buddha”.

9. penguinchris says:

I’m quite familiar with Thailand (and I’ve been to Chiang Rai), and my girlfriend is Thai and Buddhist and I’ve been to Buddhist temples in Thailand many times – not as a tourist, but with my girlfriend for the various reasons Buddhists go to temples.

However, I’m a bit taken aback by this! It’s really, really out-there. I don’t know how Thais feel about it, but my feeling is that most would probably consider it as an art installation rather than a temple they’d actually use as a temple.

That said, the artistry there does seem very Thai to me. I’m no art critic so it’s hard to explain what I mean. And while the pop-culture imagery is odd, the choices – some of which we’d consider “bad” in art/culture terms, like Keanu Reeves – made me laugh, because that’s exactly what I’d imagine they’d use, given the starting condition of taking figures from Western pop culture. These things – crappy as we may think they are in the context of Western culture – take on entirely different meanings in places like Thailand.

As a Thai person, I’ll give my personal take on this.

A “wat”, or temple, is something of a community center. It’s the place where villagers and travelers alike will comingle the most. You’ll also find fairs and carnivals set up on the grounds.

This temple is very novel. And the novelty is exactly how information about this place has spread. I couldn’t sneak a photo of the interior. But from what I could remember, the interior had a very large panoramic mural trying to depict just about everything in the universe. It’s common for the Buddha to be depicted in the middle of worldly and supernatural chaos. But the scenes are usually based on very ancient legends. This particular temple has made a point to use imagery closer to our time, and a speculative distant future. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the artists have Deviant Art accounts.

There’s a building next to the temple, where you can see copies of pages from Chalermchai Kositpipat’s sketchbook. He uses an industrial punk aesthetic to depict city life. They sell really elegant prints on T-shirts there.

He might have been the guy rambling on the PA system. The man was jokingly directing tourists not to gawk and pose in front of a lavishly decorated building, because it was really just the bathrooms!

I like it. But being a biased BoingBoinger, I like to get blasted with stimulating imagery.