14 Responses to “Tunisia's "Jasmine Revolution" and the internet: Xeni on The Madeleine Brand Show”

1. Sparky says:

I have some pegs to spare for Qaddafi.

See that America? Freedom brought to a country and not 1 bomb dropped on a family’s home.

Freedom brought to that country? What proof of there is that? I think cooler heads need to prevail. It may be a very good thing that Tunisia’s government it getting changed, but be careful what you wish for, we have yet to see what will come from the ashes.

The Middle East is a very complex place. Just because a group of revolutionaries used social media to organize doesn’t mean that their own aims are just as freedom loving. There are plenty of religious factions in Tunisia that would love nothing more than to turn that country into theocracy with very heavy religious law.

It would not be the first time an bad government was replaced by an even worse one. Iran anyone?

I pray that won’t happen.

And “without a single bomb dropping” is very wrong. This revolution was not without violence. In fact, there has been a lot of violence and the blood shed may not be over.

4. teapot says:

From the Internet in Tunisia Wikipedia page:
    Government-brokered “free Internet” programs provide web access for the price of a local telephone call and increased competition among ISPs have significantly reduced the economic barriers to Internet access. Those Tunisians for whom personal computers remain prohibitively expensive may also access the internet from more than 300 cybercafés set up by the authorities.

I bet Ben Ali is regretting that now!

• The Chemist says:

Ah, but you know what’s important in preventing tyranny in this country? Forget net neutrality: Guns. Especially guns that are easily concealed, those are the only thing that can deter an overenthusiastic highly mechanized military.

• JaxSean says:

Hmmm… I wonder about that myself. Do you really think the average American gun owner could successfully stand up to the US military (if it was deployed against the population)?

That may be an irrelevant question. Perhaps it is better to ask if they would?

5. osmo says:

Oh oh can I be the one who just see black clouds on the horizon? The IMF consideres the country in debt and all debts from one leader, toppled or not, goes on to the other. So to be able to survive (since much of Tunisias money has “gone missing”) they will have to agree to the very interesting IMF agreements.

6. benher says:

The revolution will be < 140 characters!

7. Manooshi says:

Random comment: Whenever I see a pic of Qaddafi, all I think of is the SNL parody of his hour and a half long speech at the U.N. in September ’09: http://3.ly/NWSY

8. The Chemist says:

I wonder if we’re already working to undermine this. Let’s face it, we don’t like democratically elected stable Arab governments because they tend to threaten Israel. Takes for example the sign being held up, which is a Mahmoud Darwish quote mentioning,

“…meeting tomorrow on the soil of your sister, Palestine.”

But don’t accuse me of being a cynic before I have the chance to declare it openly.

9. Neon Tooth says:

Ah but he was *our* dictator, which is why his killing of 60+ didn’t get quite the MSM time as Neda did.

10. bosconet says:

And in Hati we have the possible return of a dictator with Jean-Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier’s return….

And Italy is hopefully next!

The local situation is much more complicated (and awful) than you could imagine, but the included link can suggest a bit of the current scenario…