Egypt: The viral vlog of Asmaa Mahfouz that helped spark an uprising

14 Responses to “Egypt: The viral vlog of Asmaa Mahfouz that helped spark an uprising”

1. dblomqu1 says:

Just saw this Tweet! DAMN IT! Such a brave young woman….hope all ends well…

Egyptian Facebook activist, leader of online group supporting protesters has been arrested in Cairo – Wired http://bit.ly/fEaUYQ

2. millrick says:

To: Egypt
    From: the rest of the world

Please vote Asmaa Mahfouz into the new Egyptian government!

3. AlisBinks says:

What an inspirational young woman. Part of me wishes that I could be in Egypt to march up to Tahrir Square at her side.

this woman is amazing

hope and despair are sister and brother.

@1 (dblomqu1):

i second your emotions, but please be aware that neither tunisia nor egypt will be at the end of a process very soon. furthermore, as i understand it a democracy is always at the beginning and it is always pesky hard work.

every day, all over again.

.~.

6. travtastic says:

I wish I knew if she was going to support a despotic fundamentalist caliphate. There are so many uncertainties in that region! What if the price of oil goes up?

• Anonymous says:

With all due respect, and I mean that… I’m willing to pay more for oil if people in the Middle East are allowed to live decent lives. And if she chooses to support a fundamentalist candidate, that’s her right. Again meaning you no disrespect… I know you’re legitimately worried… but to all my fellow Americans I’d say that God or the Universe or whoever didn’t give we Americans the right to cheap oil at the daily expense of brown people overseas… It’s not our oil. If we think it’s too expensive then maybe we shouldn’t buy it. Sound preposterous? Well maybe if we didn’t drive two blocks every time we need to buy a loaf of bread or get a cup of coffee… and walked instead… or rode a bike… and maybe if we elected candidates who would ACTUALLY END OUR OIL ADDICTION… hmmmm… think about it. Thanks.

• Anonymous says:

Shucks, I guess we’ll just have to take her at her word:

“I am not a socialist, I am not a liberal, I am not an Islamist. I am an Egyptian woman, a regular woman rejecting injustice and corruption in my country.” — from the New York Times

Or we can be lazy, form our opinions based on a ten-second soundbite, never read the rest of the story, and then wonder about gas prices while one of the most important democratic moments of our lives happens right in front of us–basically, we can be what half the world already thinks we are.

Or, you know, Democracy and all that jazz? It ain’t easy. But Internets don’t listen ADHD TL;DR Hey, look, kittens.

• Anonymous says:

None of the US oil comes from Egypt, so don’t worry.

An uppity woman was behind the uprising in Tunisia as well.

8. Pablito says:

Erm, I’m pretty sure travtastic is being sarcy, basically echoing certain shrill commentators.

Hooray for uppity women EVERYWHERE!!!!
    Long live a free Egypt.

She is a marvelous woman and “Uppity Women”
    unite in this cause.

11. Michael Smith says:

I think the elephant in the room here is Saudi Arabia. If that one goes bang the shock waves will circle the Earth a few times.