Pinhole camera from an old hardcover

8 Responses to “Pinhole camera from an old hardcover”

1. MadMolecule says:

Pinhole photography FTMFW.

2. Cefeida says:

Love the camera.

Can’t stand the Etsy seller spiel. Can anyone on that site write a description that DOESN’T try to make it sound like the product was spun from dreamglitter by magical endangered pixies?

3. marquis.montrose says:

Creativity = yay!

However, whenever I see old books get destroyed, it makes me very sad.

4. Donald Petersen says:

Valueless and unsellable? Hardly. If all the pages were present, I’d pay several bucks for this volume. I haven’t read much Zane Grey, but I liked what I read, and this particular edition looks especially comfy.

But still, the only unforgivable sin I see here is the usage of “torn and tattered to perfection.” Puts me in mind of those dipsticks who buy their jeans with holes already in them.

Or the guys with much more money than sense who plunk down four grand for this.

LOL cefeida. Also, did the term “upcycled” really need to be invented?

As someone who works at an antiquarian book business, I can assure you marquis.montrose that that book is valueless and basically un-sellable due to its condition, and that this art project does not represent the death of some rare and unrecoverable information. That book’s most likely destination at this point would be the recycling bin. I would argue that craft projects like these keep interest in books as physical objects active and so are a good thing for bibliophilia in general.

• marquis.montrose says:

“As someone who works at an antiquarian book business, I can assure you marquis.montrose that that book is valueless and basically un-sellable due to its condition”

As someone who also dabbles in the antiquarian book business myself, I can also assure you that I’ve yet to meet a book that can’t find a buyer ;)

It might not be worth much, but I have more than a few customers who’d be willing to purchase the above book . . . albeit at 1/20th of the camera’s asking price!