Old cockpits in 360° panorama

8 Responses to “Old cockpits in 360° panorama”

1. BWJones says:

dbarak,

The funny thing is, a few years before I found myself sitting on a plane with the guy who brokered the deal with the Moldovan government to acquire those very aircraft. Sitting in the cockpit of that Mig-29, I suddenly realized that *the very plane I was sitting in* was one of those from that deal. Its a shockingly small world…

2. BWJones says:

Very nice. Though the first through the fourth images are from helicopters and the turquoise cockpits are Russian as they believe that color leads to a calming influence in the cockpit/control area.

3. headfirstonly says:

Fantastic. From the Mi-24 cockpit view, click on the arrow on the open door to see an external view af the aircraft. The paint job on the thing is somewhat, er, eccentric…

4. BWJones says:

Anon: Yeah, I’ve been in both cockpits of of a MI-24 when visiting the formerly compartmentalized facility on this trip: http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/2008/09/red-flag/ No pics of the Hind cockpit, but plenty of other goodies including Mig-23 and Mig-29 cockpits.

And, two of them appear to be from the same aircraft (MI-24) but the forward and rear cockpits.

god, nice photos but the zoom control on those panoramas just sucks.

7. dbarak says:

BWJones,

I remember that place. My CO in the Navy “rented” a Navy C-9 to pay a visit there in 1985 or 1986. Awesome place, I couldn’t believe that I was sitting in classified (at the time) MiGs, etc.

From your link:

“Before leaving Nellis and Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to drop by the 547th Intelligence Squadron’s Threat Systems Area. Established in 1976, this is the USAF’s premier hands on threat training facility that is solely dedicated to educating and training aircrews and support personnel on adversary weapon systems and until relatively recently was a Top Secret facility that focuses on analyzing and disseminating intelligence products on tactics, weapons systems and implementations for a variety of sources within the Department of Defense including the Red Flag program. Weapons systems of all kinds are found here with everything from small arms to crew served weapons, armor, main battle tanks, surface to air missile systems and opposing aircraft. This was actually the first time I was able to get into the cockpits of the MiG-23 and MiG-29, so that was a bit of a thrill for me.”

BWJones: I’d always wondered why the Soviet designers insisted on that horrible blue/green colour. Now I know! :) Also: I ALWAYS wanted to know what it was like to sit in the cockpit of an MI-24 “Hind”, though I’d much rather say I flew a “Hind” than a “Pickpecker!”