99% Invisible: podcast on the power of design

9 Responses to “99% Invisible: podcast on the power of design”

Argh – what do we have to DO to get transcripts? Everybody’s all about podcasting now and some of us can’t hear words! It’s bad enough to miss all the TED talks and StarShipSofa, but this is just the last straw.

• kerfuffle says:

I, for one, would be happy to join a podcast-transcribing network, a la Project Gutenberg. Searchable text would make these programs more robust as resources. Anyone here know where to sign up?

2. Jesse Thorn says:

@Anon – I think a lot of podcast producers would love to provide transcripts of their shows. In addition to the accessibility benefits, there are huge SEO benefits. Unfortunately, it’s pretty expensive to do so. I’ve recently started offering transcripts of one of my shows, and it costs me about a hundred dollars a week, and that’s with the transcriptionist giving me a price break. For most smaller podcasters (Roman, for example, is a one-man shop), that’s just not financially sustainable.

I would love to see a Guttenberg-like open platform for transcription. I know I have a lot of listeners who would like to help with transcription, but the administration of the volunteers would be just as expensive as transcription would be.

3. tw15 says:

Vexillology FTW!

Roman Mars also helps produce Snap Judgement, a story show on NPR (also podcasted free in iTunes), as well as other material for PRX (the Public Radio Exchange). Google him and find his stuff. Totally worth it.

I can’t figure out the common factor between scandium, gallium, germanium and technetium.

6. gmr2048 says:

Here’s the non-iTunes podcast link, for the iTunes impaired:

7. Sam125 says: