Romantic advice from scientists

15 Responses to “Romantic advice from scientists”

I don’t suppose it occurred to anyone that these men who crossed the higher, less stable bridge had higher levels of testosterone from the endeavor, huh?

Really? I, of course, hold Cracked in higher regard that any academic paper.

3. Ryanwoofs says:

I wonder how much of that behavior after crossing the bridge was along the lines of “hell, I just tempted fate crossing that bridge, why not make a day of it?”

• aelfscine says:

That was exactly my thought. If asking someone out makes you nervous, and you just did something far more nerve-wracking, talking to the girl won’t seem so imposing. I’m not so sure it’s a ‘rush of sexual endorphins’ as much as just a lowering of inhibitions due to succeeding a tough task.

4. gastronaut says:

I’m pretty sure that tip doesn’t work for the guys as well- but that never stopped us from trying it. I suppose I’ve been guilty of that myself, although this girl’s boyfriend gets bonus points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouMMOraPyw

5. SamSam says:

… or maybe they were thinking, “hell, I just did something really brave! Maybe that girl will think I’m brave and sexy!”

Normally I hate it when we in the peanut gallery instinctively second-guess researchers conclusions, but that conclusion seemed like a much bigger, and unwarranted, leap of faith.

If the woman with the questionnaire had been the one to scare the man (jumping out and shouting boo?), would the results have been the same?

6. Jason Goldman says:

My piece was filed with the Guardian on Friday evening.

7. semiotix says:

Filling out a survey is rather different from making out in a dark corner.

You’ve obviously never taken one of my famous surveys. And since those uptight prudes in the sociology department denied me tenure, I guess you never will.

8. Coherent says:

The fear factor has an anecdotal analogue! It well known that exposure to combat causes large increases in libido in both men and women. Apparently when death is near, there’s a powerful urge to get busy. So the rickety bridge story makes a lot of sense… It would seem likely that this is the same mechanism as post-combat lust.

9. jordan says:

Well, I’ve always said that Valentine’s Day would be better if it were more like Halloween. Perhaps this is Step 1.

10. Calimecita says:

These reports are entertaining, but the *comments* section in The Guardian’s site are priceless! Thanks for the laughs – I’m so glad I’m not currently in need of any of these methods!

11. Jason Goldman says:

@SamSam (#3): This experiment was of course just one of a set of experiments in the paper that I linked. Taken together, the experiments provide support for the conclusion. If you’d like a copy of it to read for yourself, email me (you can grab my email from my blog) and I’ll happily send it along.