Eileen Gunn sez, "Rep. Jackie Speier (D, CA) spoke passionately in opposition to stripping Planned Parenthood of any US funding. Compare and contrast with smarmy Rep. Chris Smith (R, NJ)."
Speier's point is well-taken: using a budget debate as an excuse to pursue Planned Parenthood is obstructionist, divisive politics at its worst. Imagine if the Democratic House had refused to pass any budget unless it contained amendments blocking funding to every agency, institution, charity and contractor that the American left objected to. The fact that this particular amendment vilifies women who've had to make wrenching decisions and endure difficult and painful procedures, often for life-saving reasons, is all the more infuriating.
(Thanks, Eileen Gunn, via Submitterator!)
- Nun punished for approving life-saving abortion - Boing Boing
- Husband confronts abortion protesters - Boing Boing
- Online publishing of women's abortion records challenged in ...
- Abortion clinic escort's blog - Boing Boing
- Verizon agrees to allow abortion-related txts - Boing Boing
- US-funded health search-engine censors all results for searches on ...
- South Dakota Moving to Legalize Murder of Abortion Providers ...
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.