EFF takes on trademarkers of term "Urban Homestead"

17 Responses to “EFF takes on trademarkers of term "Urban Homestead"”

1. Kieran O'Neill says:

What’s interesting to read is the urban homesteading (R) trademark application itself. It took them two years of legal back and forth and several 200-page submissions from their lawyers (consisting mainly of screenshots of blogs). I half wonder if the USPTO didn’t just get tired of them and let it through.

Anyway, glad the EFF is on the case.

That is a bummer because I just started my new blog and turned on amazon associate so I can monetize it.

Oh well…

3. morgonmae says:

Thanks, Mark, for covering Coyne and Knutsen. I was worried about them when I read last week’s post about the trademark.

My partner donates to EFF, and Coyne and Knutsen’s work has materially improved our household. I’m glad to see them benefit from EFF.

I just learned from ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=urban+homesteading that it became a popular term in the 1970s, and was even the name of a HUD program. TMOARYN

5. SamLR says:

There’s a comic post on the institutes blog about plagiarism[1]; I guess they’re trying to claim that the Urban homstead book has copied them. Guess the BBC should sue them as the idea was first aired in the 1975 TV series “the good life” [1]. Pretty sure that predate’s their blog if not their entire movement….

[1] http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2011/02/17/what-is-plagiarism/
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Life_(1975_TV_series)

I was worried for a moment, until I realized I am an Urbane Homesteader.

7. olele says:

hrmmm. followed the link the the herbanohmstead.org website

the comments section is closed, though. wonder what that’s about?

The meta issue for me here… is that the practices and beliefs of “urban homesteading” which MANY of us, (more and more every day) are learning, integrating, teaching and following — and for which we have long and repeatedly used this “rubric” — is in fact, fundamentally PROLETARIAN AND GENEROUS BY NATURE, antithetical to the idea of codifying as property or for profit. In other words, this entire realm BELONGS TO ALL THE PEOPLE, just as should raised beds, penicillin and barn raisings… In as much as those terms serve to help newbies, yuppies, wannabes (and honeybees!) get right with Nature and Food and our Future, the Dervaes shouldn’t interfere with their free use. They should be flattered. Instead they made enmity.

9. Ambiguity says:

The facebook pages weren’t taken down via the DMCA, which covers copyrighted works. They were taken down after the trademark holder complained to the host.

Thanks for clearing that up.

If that’s the case, the summary should probably be corrected, as it says “…and then sent DCMA [sic] takedown notices to Google and Facebook…”

Fourteen people have been arrested in Southwestern Wisconsin for identifying themselves as “Urban Homesteaders”. In Las Vegas 63 people at an unnamed casino were taken into custody for unauthorized use to the words “That’s Hot*”, while a food manufacturing plant in Ohio is under investigation for dismissing employees who violated company policy. The director of the Human Resources has been taken into custody for having been heard to utter the statement “You’re fired**.”
    President Barak Obama is under federal indictment for using the word “Olympic” without written permission from the International Olympic Committee. And finally 7 year old Rosita Gonzales of Portland, Oregon has been issued a cease and desist order for asking her friends and family to call her “Rosie”. The death sentence has been requested.

*”That’s Hot” is a registered trademark of Paris Hilton Inc.
    **”You’re Fired” is a registered trademark of Donald Trump Enterprises.
    ***”Olympic” is a registered trademark of the International Olympic Committee.
    ****”Rosie” is a registered trademark of Rosie O’Donnell and unauthorized usage is punishable by death and/or having to give Ms. O’Donnell a bath.

• shadowfirebird says:

My daughter’s pogo stick makes a sound remarkably similar to the title of a well known “happy mutants” blog. I’d welcome some feedback from the organisers to the effect that they are not feeling litigious…

11. daev says:

Huh. Whoodathunkit? Lawyers got jobs…

12. Ambiguity says:

Cool beans, but there’s something I just don’t understand:

Moreover, because there is no counter-notice procedure, the targets of an improper takedown have no easy way to get their content back up.

Huh? The DMCA has a very specific procedure set up for counter-notices, so I’m having difficulty parsing this claim.

FYI- While running for the office of Mayor, in Portland, Oregon, the leading candidate was served notice from the Sam Adams Brewery to cease and desist from use of their trademark. The letter claimed that the violator could be sued for upwards of 2 million dollars. Candidate Sam Adams stood his ground and insisted upon using his real name. Sam Adams Brewery Inc. was wise enough to see the logic of the situation and backed down. Personally if I were the person Sam Adams I would have enjoyed seeing this situation take it’s course in a court room and made certain the brewery paid all of my legal costs to simply use the name given to me at birth.