The koala says ...

19 Responses to “The koala says ...”

1. marco antonio says:

Having been in the near proximity of koalas, I knew this – and use it to my advantage in the odd occasions it comes up in conversation.

For example, when my 4 and my 6 year olds saw a cartoon of cute koalas and asked me what they sound like in the wild – and I proceeded to make the same noise to my full lung capacity. Should have seen their faces!!! :D My wife has seen me doing the deed before, but watching our kids’ reaction was priceless.

I can only hope they’ll be asked one day at school what sound a koala makes, I’d love to see the faces of the other kids and teacher! :D

2. satn says:

“and this sound is such an effective mating technique that simply hearing it can cause female koalas to go into heat.”

I want one of those.

3. Amsterdaam says:

I am hearing a distinct digeridoo vibe there, maybe they were the inspiration?

4. zipr says:

Reminds me of everyone’s favorite Baby Preacher:

5. lecti says:

Surprisingly humanlike.

6. CammoBlammo says:

We used to get this a lot in the gum trees right behind the house we lived in. We sort of got used to it after a while.

Visitors didn’t like it so much though. One friend, who was about three at the time, thought it was my wife snoring. Thinking back, I can see how she made that mistake.

7. jennybean42 says:

There needs to be a dance remix version of this.

8. urbanhick says:

Reminds me of being frightened nearly out of my skin by a porcupine mating groan (I don’t what else to call it!) coming from high up a tree outside my window one dark night. There’s no real way to describe it other than to say it truly does raise the hair on the back of one’s neck. Brr!!!

I would think the chin testicles would be sufficient to attract a mate.

10. eviladrian says:

The first time you hear this outside your window at night, I guarantee you will piss the bed. It sounds like a giant man is violently masturbating and looking for a way in.

11. jordan says:

That awesome recording doesn’t quite convey how /loud/ a koala is. It’s startling how something so relatively small can bellow so massively.

12. ryxxui says:

The noise is even more frightening when the koalas making it are engaged in one of the strangest fights (without much of a conclusion so don’t worry too much about the violence) you have ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oLu7znwQ0

13. Quiet Wyatt says:

Well, wasn’t I born the wrong species. Majestic, rhythmic belching — in my experience — does not act as a human aphrodisiac.

14. Editz says:

I think if you sped that up it would sound like creaking mattress springs…

Brushtail possums make a similar sound in Australia. Koalas are known as cranky bastards here

16. Bill says:

It sounds like someone pushing a cart with a stuck wheel.

17. Howard Emgritz says:

Look closely at the nails — much darker than typical for koalas. Fairly certain it’s a dropbear, not a koala. They do sound alike, though. http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear

18. Pablito says:

I remember when I first heard this sound in the bush. I was convinced we were being stalked by a giant wild boar ala razorback.

When I’ve heard it in real life it has sounded much louder, deeper and scarier than that rather tinny recording.

They can also be pretty aggressive in the wild, maybe dropbears are real after all.