3D printed bug-repellent protects your plants

18 Responses to “3D printed bug-repellent protects your plants”

1. Alvis says:

I feel like most people could pull this project off without needing a 3D printer.

why would you want to scare butterflies? you should be feeding them instead?

3. RadioSilence says:

cool but… easier to cut one out of a plastic milk bottle?

In other news, I use a 3-D printer to make a tab for marking my place in books, a device to place under my drinks to prevent condensation rings on the table, and a rectangular flat surface on which to write words.

• imag says:

Next on BB:

3D printer folding dolls!

3D printer papercraft!

How to record the written word with 3D printed mock-stone tablets…

5. millrick says:

ignoring stupid males; always a wise reproductive strategy

6. monopole says:

It’s a bug repellent and a butterfly RealDoll!

7. Lobster says:

Now if only you could do something about the giant white butterflies stuck to all your plants!

That plant doesn’t really look like a crucifer. Shouldn’t the decoy be on a plant that the white cabbage butterfly eats, like broccoli?

in reply to simiotix
    Cle-vah …

10. semiotix says:

Don’t you judge me for my child-free lifestyle. I was perfectly well aware that I was using a sex-assist device. Would you prefer that I hire prostitute butterflies, or lead on some trusting she-butterfly when all I wanted was sex?

You know, everyone on the internet is soooo hip and kinky and sex-positive, right up until they’re not. Well, excuse me if you can’t quite walk the walk when it comes to embracing alternative sexualities.

–a male Pieris rapae

I’m wondering if one can also discourage wasps from building nests by putting up fake little thingies that look like other wasps have already started to build a nest.

(I’m sure there’s a suburbia joke in there somewhere, just too lazy to pursue it)

12. magicbean says:

I’m not convinced that cabbage worm butterflies identify their competition visually, and what butterflies see is quite different from what humans see since they have multifaceted eyes sensitive to different light waves. They usually find mates by pheremone, so it stands to reason that they’d sense competition the same way – by smell. It’s a sweet idea, though.

13. Brainspore says:

It never occurred to me that butterflies were even capable of antisocial behavior. Now I just have an urge to look up “butterfly fight” on YouTube.

We put up fake wasp nests under out deck and in our shed every year to keep yellow jackets away: it works quite well. Like the butterfly decoys, bigger nests appear to work better.