Maho Beach: like sunbathing on a runway

9 Responses to “Maho Beach: like sunbathing on a runway”

My son loves airplanes, and youtube is full of video of these landings. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=st+martin+airport+landing&aq=0

2. yachtboy says:

I have many fond memories of spending the winter not far from Maho Beach about 10 years ago. That was before they added the second fence.

The beach was beautiful, and because of the constant jets pummeling the area right behind the runway that area was always clear. It was considered poor form to warn people just arriving to the beach about what was likely to happen, thus ruining the fun of watching them get sandblasted.

We used to line up and hold onto the fence. The blast from a 747 would blow you horizontal. Hats and sunglasses would be blown out to see, and my friend also lost a couple of 100 $ bills that got blown out of his shirt pocket one day.

The bar at the end of the beach was the Sunset Beach Bar, which according to this site sadly appears to have been shut down a couple of years ago. They had jager on tap and a policy of “topless girls drink free” that was strictly enforced. http://www.sunsetbeachbar.com/

I think hanging out at the end of that runway looking into the rear end of a Paris-bound Air France 747 and then heading to the Sunset Beach Bar is one of the highlights of my years-long career in the Caribbean. Glad to hear that things haven’t changed too much!

So much fail in that article. It’s not the landing planes that blow people in the ocean. You have to wait for a large one starting.

Protip:

1. Walk to the airport (10 Minutes) or take the bus ($1).
    2. Ask at the counter of KLM, Corsair (747) or Air France (A340) if the plane is fully booked.
    3. If yes go back to the beach.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Especially the fully loaded planes bound for Paris start running all four engines with locked brakes until they reach full power.

That blows everyone into the ocean at around 80% of the full power – and as long as they can withstand the sandstorm long enough.

4. CLamb says:

Gee, a place where you could hit a commercial airliner with a slingshot. I can imagine how the security cultists in the USA would react to that!

I’ve lost many pairs of sunglasses on that beach. I imagine you could make a fortune scavenging offshore with a snorkel.

6. Comedian says:

Airliners.net has an incredible collection of photos from that beach.

The most viewed photo has something north of 28 million hits.

hey, my brother and his girlfriend visited there! upon his return he was wearing a t-shirt with the sign from picture #8 on it.

8. PaulR says:

Like, wouldn’t the sand be at 150degF (I’m assuming the article, since it’s written in ‘Mercan, means Farhenheit) all by itself anyway?

Here at Parlee Beach in July, the sand will hit that temperature just from the sun.

9. poagao says:

Spending a week on a Caribbean island beach taking snapshots, what a hardship assignment that must have been.