3 teens behind internet crime forum Gh0stMarket get jail

22 Responses to “3 teens behind internet crime forum Gh0stMarket get jail”

“I’m a skinny White dude… I won’t make it. Somebody, some night takes a pipe from under the bed to my face — not to hurt me, but to break all my teeth out, so I can give ‘em head all night without biting their dick off… “I’ll be a 28 year old punked-out ex-con with government issued dentures…” Quote Ed Norton in 25th Hour. O.k., they’ll be 23-24.And hopefully the UK Gaols are more merciful.

2. pAULbOWEN says:

30 months (assuming 50% off for good behaviour) seems rather lenient for 26 big ones and a death threat but since cheating and theft are endemic to their class, they’re probably wondering what on earth all the fuss is about.

3. jungletek says:

These guys were ever-so-slightly clever, but mostly cocky and lazy.

Lord knows if I’m behind some sort of venture such as this that EVERYTHING is encrypted, VPN’s, proxies, etc.

Threatening the police was fucking dumb. You either attack them or don’t, but for fuck’s sake, don’t give them a heads-up. They surely wouldn’t give you the same courtesy.

Check out our MIS510PROJ :: ALERRAS page. We are working on predicting crime in the SF area based on data from several sources. We would like others to view this and learn the viability of web-enabled APIs.

MIS510PROJ :: ALERRAS

5. fergus1948 says:

Judging by the photo he’s a bit of a Tony Castrato.

6. fergus1948 says:

I should have added that having worked most of my life with young ‘working-class’ people frequently in trouble with the law, I was particularly struck by the detail that these privately educated young men were using an offshore bank account in Costa Rica to process funds from the frauds.

Inequalities in the British class system never cease to amaze me. However, maybe upon release they can be rehabilitated by working in the Treasury or, more likely, among the pig-troughers in the financial institutions of the City.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’ve known people who went to exclusive private schools here in the US. Several of them described them as holding tanks for the children of wealthy parents that didn’t want to deal with them. They also mentioned majoring in ‘drugs’ and ‘petty theft’.

• teapot says:

I went to one of these schools. My friends in the public school system (i.e. government-funded) were 100 times more honest and theft of personal property was almost unheard of. It was rife in my school.

A couple of kids who got busted selling drugs in their previous school got sent to my school by their parents to put them on the “straight and narrow”. All it did was give them a bigger and more affluent customer-base. There was kids stealing science equipment because the local dealer would trade pyrex glassware for drugs.

I got a decent education, but man private school was fucked up.

Anyway, +1 on this making a better movie than The Social Network. How were they stupid enough not to think they would be caught at Gatwick?? Surely it would be better to try and slip in via a seaport in Scotland or Wales?

• Nadreck says:

But the article quote says public-school-educated Webber so it’s not as classist as you claim.

• Stooge says:

Nadreck, in the UK a public school is actually a private school and what you understand to be a public school is called a state school.

Don’t ask.

7. wobinidan says:

Anyone else find it a little weird that the banks we trust to keep our money safe can’t even protect us from a few teenagers?

• Anonymous says:

No, wob, they have no longer have any interest in doing so. Their profits are not compromised by your losses. Sucks to be you, eh?

Incidentally, in Old Blighty, “public school” means the same thing that “private school” means in Yankeeland.

• DrPretto says:

Yes, but those teens are very intelligent hackers, I think they should be punished because they broke the law, but jailing maybe is not the better way, I think they should enter a social rehabilitation program, with community hours, and supervised by some tutor. Once they are rehabilited, they should be given the opportunity to work honestly with a paid job, to help make better anti-hacking systems. Just my opinion, sometimes when people get jailed, they learn from other high level criminals, in this case the cure is worse than the disease.

• Anonymous says:

social rehab with community hours and a tutor. that sounds like a huge pain in the ass that probably wouldn’t result in anything practical.

8. seachange says:

This would make a way better movie than the Social Network.

9. benher says:

So they aided in the ripping off of a piddly 26 mil. Big Whoop.
    Wall street has ripped off closer to 26 trill and no one gives a toss.

white collar crime, white collar time. looks like that expensive education wasn’t wasted on them.

11. soongtype says:

So in a few years they get out and can become successful computer security experts.

12. djinni says:

They should come to the US. Here they would be regarded as politicians.

“Threatening to blow up the head of the police unit in charge of internet crimes after an earlier arrest was probably an unwise move”

Why would threatening to blow up a toilet be unwise?

14. Lobster says:

No morals, parasitic, and proud of it? Yep, that’s the son of a politician.