R. Crumb retrospective in NYC

7 Responses to “R. Crumb retrospective in NYC”

Even though I can’t be there, knowing this event is occurring makes me really happy.

Also, this:

2. mraverage says:

will he play banjo?

Unless this show travels to Honolulu I won’t be seeing it…too bad, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. Referring to R. Crumb as “The Ol’ Pooperoo” is a nice poetic and obscure reference that will reward the informed and confound the uninformed.

I see from the Society’s site that Mr Crumb will also be performing with an old time music group at the Society on the 26th. Sold out, unfortunately.

5. burritoflats says:

This looks like the same touring exhibition of Crumb’s work that touched down at the Santa Ana Grand Central Art Museum here in California (2009) – the exhibit is a deceptively modest one, but full of original Crumb pencil drawings, original mechanical paste-up boards and Crumb’s special painted spool art. It’s a great way to truly get up and close to an astounding artist. I REALLY enjoyed seeing Crumb’s “blue pencil” under drawing for his comic panels

• Anonymous says:

It’s not the same exhibit, and it’s also not full of “original Crumb pencil drawings, original mechanical paste-up boards and Crumb’s special painted spool art.” This exhibit is PRIME real state: all the great original comic book pages, along with Key cover, that made Crumb famous.

• burritoflats says:

“It’s not the same exhibit, and it’s also not full of “original Crumb pencil drawings, original mechanical paste-up boards and Crumb’s special painted spool art.”

For me, seeing the original paste-ups for many of his early comic book covers
        was even better than seeing the finished products. If I’m not mistaken there were
        even some development drawings for the “Cheap Thrills” album cover. Also
        they had several of the original “jam” drawings done in cahoots with Spain
        Rodriguez, S. Clay Wilson and others (along with a short film of the
        artists drawing together in SF) – sadly, the Crumb exhibit I saw was
        held in downtown Santa Ana, not exactly a bustling Paris or London – therefore
        the show was poorly attended – I would like to find out how much
        this new NYC show differs from the touring exhibit of two years ago