Dali's Car by Peter Murphy and Mick Karn

13 Responses to “Dali's Car by Peter Murphy and Mick Karn”

Sounds a lot like The Fixx to me. I love that they are using a laserdisc as a mirror in the video – classic! The record cover is a Maxwell Parrish painting; they obviously have great taste in art.

2. bklynchris says:

OH m’GAWD!

I owned this album and this is probably the first time I heard this song in over 20 years. You’re right this is a beautiful album. Sad to hear about Mick Karn. Waaaaaa! I’m old.

I enjoyed all Bauhaus spin offs. My friend and I were so smug that we sourced a few of their lyrics to “Brave New World”.

Ahhhh, the 80′s.

3. Drabula says:

RIP Mick Karn. Japan had a big influence on many of us back in the day. He will be missed.

• David Pescovitz says:

Agreed! In the context of the more “mainstream” alternative music culture of the 1980s, Japan’s albums of that era were rather experimental! Now I may have to dust off some of those old vinyl grooves.

4. Matt Staggs says:

I had this album! I think I might still have it somewhere in the deepest, darkest corners of my iTunes library.

• IronEdithKidd says:

I don’t trust other people’s servers so I never got rid of my CDs. I still have this disk, though, I haven’t listened to it in quite some time and it’s not in my portible player.

Might be time to give it a fresh spin.

5. pitkataistelu says:

Laserdisc!

6. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

I still listen to Japan’s “Tin Drum” album, and it still sounds fresh and exciting to me.

I’m sorry to hear of Karn’s passing. R.I.P.

Wow, this video is horrible, but Mr. Murphy’s cheekbones are particularly stellar here, so it all evens out.

Excellent album, there’re a better tracks than this on there to.

9. Chang says:

Karn’s death really devastated me. He was just such an amazing player.

Dali’s Carwas always kinda aiiight to me. But I can’t wait to hear the new tracks!

10. Spookyland says:

This album fell far enough outside of musical trends at the time to remain fairly fresh – my biggest complaint was always that it is a very short album. Karn was melodic an nuanced, and Murphy a little under-utilized. It would be great to compare the more recent compositions, even if there can be no more.

I believe that most of Murphy’s somewhat uneven solo work came after this album – he definitely benefits from a solid ‘band.’

11. ahmacrom says:

I love this album. Thanks to the love of my life in introducing me to it. We even have the Parrish print in our livingroom. Karn became one of my influences on fretless bass. So sad. R.I.P