3D printed Bauhaus chess-set

14 Responses to “3D printed Bauhaus chess-set”

1. SamSam says:

A cool idea, but why does the resolution seem so terrible? I thought 3D printing had gotten much finer than this. Was this done on Thingverse’s printers, or is this a demo?

As a commenter on the original article puts it so well, I felt I would echo:

“Looks like something you’d get free from a cracker … and complain about.”

3. benher says:

The sanding, buffing, refining stage of 3D printing is the one that I wish to have more information about.

Some of the latest ‘you can afford it’ 3D printers boast pretty fine details, but to achieve the maximum detail offered by the specs, I’d imagine you’d need some sculpting skills

(for example, could you make usable threaded screws?)

4. shashi2005 says:

It’s obvious that the king has a cube on it, and the queen has a sphere on it.

He had a stair carpet with an alternating pattern of paisley-ish alternating squares and circles.
    I remember thinking as a toddler that the squares represented my dad, and the circles represented my mum.

Is it as obvious to others as it is to me? Which is the queen and which is the king?

Guys, you have to realize that this is an adaption of Hartwigs chess game design. Here is the original, in my opinion much more beautyfull.

I somehow also like the poor quality of this 3d printed one.
    Will try to use it as adesign component and print the original design

6. TimDrew says:

I’m a fan of 3d printing for, amongst many other reasons, the potential for fabricating things that are, by the intrinsic nature of their shapes, quite difficult to make with any other method.

However, not sure I see why they chose something comprised of basic block units that could be more effectively made by even a modestly skilled woodworker in an afternoon (and remain truer in spirit to the original).

7. EH says:

3D computer-controlled sander, I See A Great Need.

8. manicbassman says:

are these designs legally in the public domain now?

9. LollyD says:

If you want to design your own insanely cool, funky chess board – try this site

They make vinyl rollup chess boards. You can check out the designs they have or make your own in any color w/ your own pictures or images all for $20. Neat-O!

10. RebNachum says:

I dunno. I think these are more true to the spirit of Bauhaus qua Bauhaus than even the original wooden set.