I turned my 4-year-old daughter into a Dungeons & Dragons geek

22 Responses to “I turned my 4-year-old daughter into a Dungeons & Dragons geek”

1. Zig says:

Simply awesome! I have to forward this on to my friends who have little ones.

Think I’m going to buy the game just to buy it…Don’t know if I’ll ever get a chance to run a niece or nephew through an adventure, but they are coming up on an age where these rules should be perfect from the sounds of it. Here’s to being prepared!

My own free simple rpg system: http://electricgypsy.info/rpg.htm

3. NewbieDm says:

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I’m glad I could share the story with readers from outside the regular D&D blogosphere. I suspect that there are tons of parents out there like me itching to start gaming with their kids.

I’ve had nothing but fun doing it. It’s been a blast. Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

4. AnthonyC says:

Good job!

5. Christian Long says:

I bought a set of 6 D&D 3.0 books at a garage sale. I figured my son would get in to them around age ten, but he devoured them from the age of six. Great for his reading skills and vocabulary; plus !nataS !nataS

6. Jane94 says:

Thank you for sharing, and spreading such charming sanity in parenting!

My kid learned arithmetic on his own rolling up characters from the Shadowrun books I had lying around the house even though I never actually found time to play, he had a calculator and he just eventually didn’t need to check it any more to be right. Gaming is such a great education in so many different ways without doing anything that is not entirely for fun. Including the kids from an early age is so much saner than the standard modern-world zombie production approach to parenting, I feel better knowing it is going on out there among complete strangers, the more kids who grow up knowing how to think the better our chances are, and the more fun life will be. Thank you.

My son is fond of Altars and Archetypes, which is free I believe.

8. Seraphim_72 says:

Ah, what you want is Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip from Metagaming. Google is your friend. The system is d6 based and its heritage is as old, if not older than the Three Original D&D books. It is a short, tight and very fun game, with much for expansion. DarkCity http://www.darkcitygames.com/ has free rules, and cheap adventures that can even be run solo. They are the spiritual inheritors of TFT (The Fantasy Trip), and I do not say that lightly.

9. xenophage says:

Myself and some friends run monthly games meetup via meetup.com (currently ~5 tables in Amsterdam NL). This month includes Traveller – Hitchikers Guide, D&D 4e – RPGA Fantasy, Savage Worlds – Fantasy, Lady Blackbird – Steampunk and Starwars.

If people are interested in finding out more about the hobby, finding a local game group, or just want to hang out with gamers, meetup.com is a great place to look.

10. oodja says:

I’m very disappointed that this hasn’t devolved into a D&D Edition War thread yet… (btw, 2E 4EVAH!)

I haven’t introduced my daughter to RPGs yet- she’s 7 years old- but I’m thinking about starting her with the old Ghostbusters RPG from West End Games, as the mechanics are wicked simple and she gets to carry a proton pack. What’s not to like?

• Chuk says:

Good call — didn’t that game have equipment cards? Kids love manipulables. (And as for the system, Risus was inspired by the Ghostbusters game (and its rules are only six pages long) and works well with kids, in case they ever want to be something that’s not a Ghostbuster.)

• oodja says:

Yes, the game does come with cards- I still have most of ‘em, but a few enterprising souls out there have created their own printed PDFs as well (not just for replacement purposes but to add some 90′s and 21st century tech items, as well as some experimental items from the FUUUUUUUUUUUTURE!).

As for Risus, I did not know that it traces back to the Ghostbusters RPG. I’ll be sure to check it out… thanks for the tip!

+ infinity!!!

Lovely, lovely idea. Downloading this for sure and sucking my daughter in. Though she’s now old enough to play the “big kids” version.

12. Voris Klopchick says:

Reinventing the wheel … you’re supposed to start them off with the microgame “Melee”.

13. Voris Klopchick says:

Of course, you could start her off with Toon, but she might not be able to stop laughing long enough to play…

14. pKp says:

That is some awesome parenting right there. Congratulations on raising a girl geek – we need more of these. Loads more.

15. lunchcoma says:

How lovely, and how appropriate given that children are so naturally prone to creativity and invention and are generally fascinated by monsters and heroes and magic. In a way, it’s bringing back D&D to a part of its roots.

16. mamayama says:

Oh, you’re taking me back…to my father and I, with a bewildering box of vaguely instructive pamphlets, sitting down and alternating being DM and player, while my mom kept suggesting we go outside and really DO something…rather than playing our spanking new 1974 Dungeons and Dragons game.

Sorry, Mom! My dad DM’d most of my D&D games (also my favorite: “Empire of the Petal Throne”, as well as “Traveller”) til I left for college, and found more kindred spirits/gamer-girls to play with–many of whom are still good friends!

Keep it up, Enrique. You’re making excellent Daddy Points!

17. Chuk says:

Looks like it’s a little slow right now (as in the last month or two), but http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/kids-rpg/ the kids-rpg Yahoo! group has a lot of good people on it.

I started my oldest with the old Marvel Super Heroes game when he was about five or six, and we went through various rules-light things. A fair bit of Fudge, right now my two oldest daughters are sometimes playing a Risus-based RPG in the Hunger Games setting.

18. Mister44 says:

Hmmm… My kiddo is 4, but is most of the way through first grade. I as wondering when would be a good time to play. She even asks about that “Dragons and Knights” game.

I told her she had to read better to play – but thinking about it – most of good gaming is the adventure, the dice, etc. So I am going to read up more on this. It could be super fun for us.