Read more in Music at Boing Boing

David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

16 Responses to “The Decemberists by Scott Compton”

I didn’t know Salmon Rushdie played with them! ;)
    (re: 1:08)

Yeah, I liked the Decemberists when they were the Novemberists, but you probably don’t know anything about that..

3. bottyguy says:

I love “The King Is Dead”, much less modern pirate music that the previous releases. I also love Sara Watkins, got my tickets for their show here, I can’t wait.

4. geech says:

Nice vid. Too bad SparklePony didn’t open for them

5. thebelgianpanda says:

Funny, I was listening to the Crane Wife when I saw this blog post. I hadn’t realized they released a new album this year. Purchased, downloaded, and now playing. Thanks boingboing!

6. DrPretto says:

Great band, great sound. I can hear some guitar, that sounds as the Rickenbacker maybe 12 string model, I can hear the R.E.M influence also. I love the sound of a Rickenbacker guitar, someday I will have one of those plugged through a Vox AC-30 amp.

7. helleman says:

amazing video and audio quality on this BBvideo take. you guys rock. and the Decemberists are fun, quirky and i love the sound. thanks BB!

8. DrPretto says:

Well, no sadly there is no Rickenbacker guitar only electric guitar is the Telecaster model with humbucker in the neck pickup, there is also a pedal steel guitar that sounds excellent and an acoustic Guild 12 string guitar.

I’ve been enjoying their music for years, but I recently read an article about how so many of their songs are about abuse/murder/rape, mostly of women. Somehow I had never noticed this! And now it’s all I can think about, although I heard “The King is Dead” does not feature any songs of this theme.

• BethNOLA says:

I read that essay, too; I’ve lost my tolerance for flat female characters serving as vehicles for more interesting characters’ sexual violence and mayhem, and the Decembrists have gone to that well too many times. If the new album has left that behind, that’s good news. I’ll give them another listen.

10. andrew100258 says:

Long live to new Decemberists! Great sound and beautiful video picture from http://www.youtube.com
    By the way, gays, do you know the meaning of “decemberist” (=dekabrist) in Russia?
    Five of Russian decemberists were executed on July 13, 1826 in Saint Petersburg by Russian Tsar as the main conspirators again Russian autocracy. One of them was 25 years old Mihail Bestouzhev-Ryumin, the brother of my great great forefather Nikolay Mihail Bestouzhev-Ryumin.
    They were romanticist…
    I think and I am sure that your name as “Decemberists” will bring you more fortune!
    With Best’s regards,
    Andrew Shapovalov
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    March 18, 2011

• andrew100258 says:

Oops!
      Excuse me! The second link was my mistake. It was a song with my Russian lyrics which took part in last year EuroVoice 2010 contest. I am afraid nobody in BoingBoing will understand it without translation. My translation is as follows:

“How Much do You Love Me?”

I know
      And you know the answer:
      I’m not your boyfriend
      Or your fiance
      There’s glass wall
      Between you and me
      And I don’t care
      With whom have you been!
      Hey you!
      How much do you love me?
      What is the price
      For priceless becoming?
      I’ll pay you and own you at once
      So take a breath
      And don’t loose your chance!
      I have more wealth than I can use
      Whenever lie gives birth to truth.
      Let us
      And my best folly
      Today
      And only today
      You hit the jackpot,
      You win the game!
      I have more wealth than I can use
      Whenever lie gives birth to truth.
      Let us
      Check the sooner the better
      Our chances!

Andrew

I read that article too and while it had a point I think it severer overlooked the act that EVERYONE in the Decemberists songs has a shitty,shitty time. None of the songs are pro-rape and their latest album is nasty-free (and quite delightful, their happiest album to date)

12. GeekMan says:

When “This is Why We Fight” comes on CBC Radio, I sing along at the top of my lungs and think of the Libyan rebels.

13. scruss says:

The Decemberists used to be indie. They’ve been major-label for the last two albums.