Strangely hypnotic mashups of ambient and live police radio

25 Responses to “Strangely hypnotic mashups of ambient and live police radio”

Thanks for using that photo from atop Mont Royal. Living in Vancouver for some years now, I haven’t seen that familiar view for quite a while and it was a welcome sight.

2. Jackasimov says:

Great scanner ap in the android market. Tons of worldwide scanner material. Makes me miss my old shortwave.

A pioneer of this concept is an artist named Scanner, he gained a big following in the 90′s, performing live with scanners and synthesised sound. He’d pluck everything from the airwaves, including phone calls. His studio recordings are worth seeking, they can get eerily intimate. http://www.scannerdot.com/scanner.shtml

4. jeligula says:

The Los Angeles feed was very Blade Runner-esque. More human than human, that’s our motto.

One of my favorite Soul Coughing songs “Screenwriter’s Blues” has a rather insistent refrain of ‘You are listening to Los Angeles.’ Now I know what he was talking about.

6. Patrick Dodds says:

Ooh the LA stream is marvellous – I’ve been transported forward in time.

This is really something special. I feel like I’m living in a JG Ballard novel.

I used to jam the chemical brothers and method a bunch with Air Traffic Control streaming feeds: a perfect blend of bleeps, bloops, squelch, hiss, and thumpin’ bass. After 9/11 a lot of streaming ATC went offline and I got out of the habit, but it’s worth seeing if any ATC’s still stream, the effect is rather nice and never the same twice.

9. HSOMGF says:

This is really cool. You’d think it wouldn’t work, but it does.

10. TheCorey says:

I recommend playing all four at once in different tabs.

• annoyingmouse says:

Listening to them all at once is definitely the way to go. I can’t close any of the tabs now that I’m hooked. I imagine this is what it would sound like hunting replicants.

11. dhl says:

reminds me of SomaFM’s Mission Control channel, which mixes live feed from NASA space flight with ambient and space music. It’s awesome. Check it out here:

• Anonymous says:

Soma also does SFPD scanner. http://somafm.com/sfscanner.pls
      This is just a scanner feed, so you will have to mannually open your favorite music at the same time.

• Blue says:

Yes! I just came here to mention the great SomaFM/NASA mashup, since these streams reminded me of.

And this is similar but not the same as the Eno/Byrne album, Anon @ #7. That was much less ‘ambient’. This stuff fits a different space.

• Anonymous says:

I love that mission control station on somafm. Although the Apollo-era ‘over’ beep is apparently really well heard by your co workers, even if you don’t have it turned up that loud.

12. gwailo_joe says:

Ha! Now this I get: just the perfect thing when you’re coming down from, oh extacy lets say, and you want to be relaxed *but not too relaxed*; this would be just tops. Keeping your finger on the pulse of the town. . .not a bad idea.

And the Montreal French would be the most calming. . .still, ambient music always kinda bugs me: beat, man, beat! Where’s the rhythm?? I can’t take it for long. . .have to play some DJ Cheb-i-Sabbah or some such.

My non-serious request is for police bands from Mumbai and New Delhi with some tabla beats and twangy sitars: pure win.

If you like this, you might want to check out Boris Policeband. That is, if you can find any of his mashups of (mostly live) police radio and weird strings, NYC early 80s. Great character too, came and vanished, no one knows who he is or where he’s at…

Brian Eno and David Byrne did this 30 years ago, the recording is called “My Life in the Bush of Ghosts”. It’s also much better music.

15. hpnsack says:

found this a few days ago. been singing this cool song i heard called ‘multiple shots fired officer down officer down send back up send back.. ugghh agghss tell pete i alway…s tell pe.. ghdf…’ In the shower every day. really sets the day off right

It’s 5 am – and you are listening… to Los Angeles.

Intentional or not, I dunno.

17. eberon says:

Reminds me of http://www.spamradio.com/, which I prefer, mostly because of the synth voice. However, the site mentioned in the article does have a nice feature of being able to adjust the levels of the two tracks.

18. jonw says:

This is great. Reminds me of the Blade Runner soundtrack for some reason.

Hee! first thing I saw was the photo of my hometown

Love it!

This works oddly well with Jens Buchert remixes. I went out of the room and forgot I had the mash-ups open in a tab, and it synched so well with the music by the time I got back, I kept wondering whether I’d gotten a new remix or something.

Eerie, but nice.