RIP, Mike Glicksohn, Hugo-winning science fiction fan

11 Responses to “RIP, Mike Glicksohn, Hugo-winning science fiction fan”

1. Trister says:

The complete run of Energumen can be downloaded from here:

Ghu rest his fannish soul.

Mike Glicksohn was a teacher of mine as well – he was definitely intimidating, but I respected the man completely. It will be weird not seeing him around the neighbourhood anymore.

3. RobertJSawyer says:

Mike’s memorial service was this evening in Toronto; huge turnout — as expected — despite the late-season snow storm.

The picture of Mike Glicksohn used above, by the way, was taken by me on December 15, 2008, at a party at my home in Mississauga, Ontario:

I remember Mike taking off after school on his old Honda Goldwing from the Humberside CI parking lot. That was in the early 90′s. He will be missed.

Mike Glicksohn taught me math in grade 9 at HCI. In fact my class was the last he taught before retiring. He was always my favourite teacher, although most people found him intimidating. Rest in peace Mr. Glicksohn. Will raise a glass for you.

6. Gary Farber says:

My post.

7. jphilby says:

It’s kind of surprising that the SciFic community hasn’t come up with some expression besides R.I.P.

Something about beaming-up, maybe? Or Gateways?

-Maybe- this is an appropriate spot to post this: Cracked: 5 Reasons Pop Culture Is Run by Fan-Fiction. http://www.cracked.com/article_19084_5-reasons-pop-culture-run-by-fan-fiction.html

8. Jack says:

I actually never knew or heard of Mike Glicksohn before, because I am not really involved in science fiction fandom. But I have always been a fan of science fiction, fan communities and the folks that make such places a unique and special place. Reading his obit makes me realize this guy is a fan that all fans should aspire to be. R.I.P.

9. devophill says:

Aww, crap. That’s how old my dad is. And my dad looks a lot like that, too. He’s getting an extra hug tomorrow…

10. Dinny in Adelaide says:

Mike looks like an all round good guy. Sorry to hear of his passing…..Love and hugs to his family and friends.