15 Responses to “Anti-union group: send us secret, unlimited donations so we can bring transparency to politics!”

1. eaglescout1984 says:

This is just usual politics. Both sides do it and if you deny your side is or you try to villainize the other side for doing it, then your either blind or a lair.

2. cobaltbluetony says:

Take one part Wisconsin, one part Philadelphia. Shake well. Stand back and enjoy the fun.

• strangefriend says:

OK, I get the reference to Wisconsin, but what does Philadelphia have to do with it?

3. Teller says:

Anonymous Investigates Undisclosed.

Meh. SCOTUS upset that applecart when they gave the big corps free rein to donate. Turnabout should be fair play…

5. sterling says:

Dear BoingBoing,

Please stop posting items about Wisconsin. I live and work here and come to your website to escape from this mind numbing bullshit. Your constant reminders of the suck we are in really bring me down.

Thanks.

• Boomshadow says:

With respect, you are aware that most browsers come with an address bar, into which you can enter literally millions of different addresses that contain nothing at all about Wisconsin, right?

• JonStewartMill says:

Did you ever stop to think that this website is not operated solely for your benefit?

6. kateling says:

I’m as opposed to corporate domination of the electoral process as the next quasi-socialist, but misrepresenting what they’re saying in the headline doesn’t do any of us any favors. They’re not saying anything here about bringing transparency to politics; they just want to outspend the unions on advertising.

The larger point, that general conservative claims about bringing transparency to the political process are ridiculous, is of course entirely valid. I just don’t see that claim being made here.

7. durfsmurf says:

This doesn’t say anything about transparency. Totally the opposite, it says “they’re spending a ton of money so you should fight money with money”.
    Pretty typical lobbying group stuff. This letter very clearly states that they want their candidate for judge and are concerned about another. I’d suggest you re-read the letter.

8. joeposts says:

They accuse unions of ‘plotting’ and conspiring to attack democracy, so I think it is significant that they want to use secret money to plot against unions and attack workers.

9. slgalt says:

Dear BoingBoing,

Please do not stop posting items about Wisconsin. I come here to escape from the mind numbing bullshit of corporate news. Your constant reminders of the suck that they are really lifts me up.

Thanks.

(no offense to Sterling, I can relate)

10. lyd says:

Dear BoingBoing,

Please keep posting items about Wisconsin. I live and work here and come to your website to seek links to the latest insightful or important reporting on events. Your constant reminders of the suck we are in really keep me motivated to stay involved.

Thanks.

11. muteboy says:

“These unions are getting people together and agreeing not to work with corporations who don’t let them do that. It’s almost like they’re… organizing!”

12. muteboy says:

Also quite telling is this quote from the article:
    “And, then the unions are plotting the defeat of Senators who voted against their agenda with recall elections later this year. Our democracy is being turned upside down. It’s time for businesses to fight back.” – because it’s only democracy when business is on top.