Terry Pratchett and Terry Jones to produce Discworld TV crime drama

23 Responses to “Terry Pratchett and Terry Jones to produce Discworld TV crime drama”

1. yri says:

Nice! It’s a shame Peter Postelthwaite has died, though; I read that Sir Terry imagined him as the perfect Vimes.

• 13tales says:

Yeah, though Terry always said he imagined Vimes as younger than Postlethwaite, if I remember.

A couple of friends and I had a long conversation about Vimes casting on a long car trip once. I’m for Sean Pertwee, I think. Anyone else?

2. Shiawase says:

CSI Ankh-Morpork
    (just have to get The Who to record “The Wizards Staff…”)

I wonder who will play Nobby Nobbs.

4. Chentzilla says:

I wonder, will we see Lewton from Discworld Noir?

5. mindysan33 says:

Wait, is that in addition to this:

Both will/would be awesome.

Also, I’m ready for some new discworld novels now, please. The last Tiffany Aching book was quite good, as was the Unseen Academicals.

• mindysan33 says:

Duh, me. RTFA before commenting, please. It mentions the Good Omens thing too. Same production company, etc.

Back to translating German badly.

Hope this turns out better than the godawful Sky One adaptations we’ve had to endure so far.

7. TooGoodToCheck says:

I’m pretty optimistic about this. According to IMDB, Rod Brown was the dude who produced the TV adaptations of Hogfather & Color Of Magic, which were both charming, competent adaptations.

8. chip says:

Discworld adaptations have been getting much better. The animated witches features from a while back were horrible, but Hogfather and Going Postal were quite good. I just hope the city watch series continues the trend. I’m a huge Pratchett fan, and can’t wait to see what they come up with.

First Good Omens, now Diskworld, yay!

With any luck it will be easier to the TV series to happen than the Good Omens movie project.

The only way I could be any happier would be if Pratchett revealed that he was just playing a cruel trick with this Alzheimers business.

10. RadioSilence says:

as long as David fucking Jason isn’t playing every fucking leading role.

• guernican says:

That’s a national fucking treasure you’re talking about there. Where would we be without Pop Larkin and Inspector Frost… oh.

• akbar56 says:

Every lead role? Please. He played a lead in one Discworld adaptation and a supporting in a second and wasn’t in the third.

Please update us all when there’s a title and airdate. My DVR is quivering with anticipation. (Or maybe it’s an earthquake… never know living in California.)

12. Trent Hawkins says:

Some of the newer adaptations were nice but I felt they really failed to deliver any of the comedy and were quite dry and unnecessarily dragged on for too long.

Still, looking forward to seeing this.

Steven Fry for Aziraphale, with his old sparring mate, Hugh Laurie as Crowley. both good actors, both fantastic comic timing,

14. Godfree says:

@ Trent Hawkins: I agree. Hogfather and Color of Magic were delightfully faithful to the action and dialogue and tone of the original books, but a great part of the enjoyment of reading Pratchett comes from the author’s witty writing style. A TON of humor gets dropped without it.

15. hijukal says:

Discworld: Yes!
    Crime procedural: No!

Torn, but would definitely watch the first episode.

16. bardfinn says:

“If you lose your cow, you should report this to the Watch under the Domestic and Farmyard Animals (LOST) Act of 1809. They will swing into action with keenness and speed. Your cow will be found. If it has been impersonating other animals, it may be arrested.”

17. nanuq says:

I wonder what their special effects budget will be like.