Loren Coleman's Cryptozoology Museum in the Boston Globe

12 Responses to “Loren Coleman's Cryptozoology Museum in the Boston Globe”

1. Lynn MacDonald (All Fooked Up) says:

Wait a minute! Are you saying some of those things are hoaxes? I’ve been to Portland numerous times and have never heard of that museum and trust me, I’ve often been stuck at that stupid frakking airport (oops Jetport) with tome I needed to waste. Thanks for the heads up.

First comment here too BTW!

Also, my son is pissed at the Red Sox

2. Miss Molly says:

My boyfriend and I visited the museum last fall while camping in Maine. It you love offbeat, hole-in-the-wall, quirky roadside attractions then you will love it. But if you’re expecting a shiny, polished “real” museum, don’t bother.

We loved it! While the space is small, there’s lots to look at and the best part was Mr. Coleman’s presence and enthusiasm. He is so happy to share his knowledge and experience with curious visitors. Every visitor/group gets a personalized tour (tailored to your level of interest and prior knowledge) and he stays around to answer any questions you might have.

The bookstore out front is very cool and we picked up a few rare (and cheaply priced) volumes as well as a couple of cryptid finger puppets from the museum.

3. Talia says:

I went by this place when I was in Portland last fall. It’s at the back of a bookstore. I chickened out on going in.. maybe next time.

There is nothing underwhelming about Portland, Me!

So pleased to see The Foot!

5. jjsaul says:

I wonder if he has any theories about the Bloop. The deep oceans still have some surprises in store for us.

And how mind blowing would it be to find that some remote scrap of island in the south Pacific still harbors a few Homo Floresiensis? I just hope they don’t end up harvested as folk cures.

6. BankRobbery says:

I took a visit to the International Cryptozoology Museum when I was stranded in Portland over Christmas.

I found the entire experience rather underwhelming . Basically it’s two small rooms filled with toys and scattered movie props. The “tour” consisted of about 15 minutes of Loren Coleman self-promotion and a few awkward jokes that made everyone feel rather uncomfortable.

I’m not trying to be mean, as you say Coleman is a friend of yours. I’m just saying the “museum” could use a little work.

7. tessuraea says:

It’s real! That’s my hometown. Never did check the place out, but yes, it exists and is legitimate.

Yay, my city made it onto boingboing!

8. Brainspore says:

The trick is to tell the serious from the hoax…

Actually I think the real trick is to tell the credible from the hoax from the honestly deluded. I don’t think most Bigfoot sightings are intentional hoaxes, just people who have convinced themselves that they’ve seen a giant ape-man where none actually exists. I’d still love to see the museum though.

9. Wokehtklim says:

It shares space with a wonderful used bookstore called “The Green Hand” where the owner makes sure to have many esoteric books on hand at good prices. The museum itself is one of those small curios of a museum and invokes the idea of a victorian eccentric showing off his wunderkabinet…