Marketplace for hijacked computers

14 Responses to “Marketplace for hijacked computers”

1. pinehead says:

It isn’t a matter of security, Cowicide. It’s that I don’t want people to associate me with people like you.

In all seriousness, I find it hard to believe botnets (and the rental system discussed in this post) are able to remain so hidden from law enforcement. Does the FBI simply not care? I thought the US intelligence community was chewing at the bit for stuff to do.

• Cowicide says:

That’s ok, I’m using your Windows computer to attack the GOP right now. Thanks!

2. tbx says:

lol “installing some anti-virus software on all of the servers over the next week or so

Cowicide is right, of course, but even if there were no architectural security advantages to Mac OS X over various MS Windows’, TimmerCA’s argument ignores the fact that if you want to be secure on the net *today* you are better off using a non-Microsoft OS (and browser, and email client for that matter). It might not last, but I and my loved ones can be safer *right now* by using Mac OS X or Linux.

Just saying, it might have to do with that blue bar way up above that green bar. On the bright side, it looks like iOS is on route to overtake OSX. Makes sense, considering they’re the only one that’s put out a decent phone besides Google (and let’s be honest, it’s a lot easier to just subscribe to a monopoly that doesn’t make you choose than one that gives you options).

Copy all the detailed info before the crooks wiseup and hide it.

6. Cowicide says:

So… it’s 2011… it’s been over a decade since OS X has been out and we’ve been promised by the peanutty gallery (often vehemently) for many years that as Apple’s marketshare and exposure grew we’d all be seeing its “inherently insecure” architecture exposed to numerous widespread trojans, viruses, etc. in the wild.

So… it’s 2011… how may of these bots are Macs? Zero.

How many of you will finally admit you were wrong after a decade? Zero.

Just sayin’

• TimmerCA says:

So… it’s 2011… how may of these bots are Macs? Zero.

First of all, there are viruses and exploits for MacOSX.

• Cowicide says:

I am so tired of the argument that MacOSX is better because there aren’t any viruses for it. First of all, there are viruses and exploits for MacOSX.

I’d be “so tired” too if I didn’t read what people actually said before I started arguing with them. I have never said in my life that there aren’t any viruses or exploits for OS X. You must have hallucinated that.

Please go back and read what you actually quoted from me. I said “bots”. And, once again, there’s no Mac botnets.

You stand corrected.

The reason you don’t see more is that it is just not worth the time for cyber criminals to exploit them because MacOSX has such a low market share. Depending on who you ask, the market share for MacOSX is somewhere between 5% and 15%.It would be like writing a virus that runs on a Commodore 64. Sure, you could do it…but why would you?

Sigh… here we go again. You don’t really know what you are talking about, do you?

Mac OS 9 had over 40 viruses in the wild when Apple had far less marketshare. So that destroys your marketshare incentive myth right there. There was incentive to make viruses for the Mac when it had much less marketshare than it has today. Mac OS 9 had an inferior architecture to Mac OS X for security. Very much like how Windows has an inferior architecture to Mac OS X for security.

And that ONE iChat virus you dug up for OS X? It failed miserably, didn’t propagate worth shit and is no longer in the wild (not that it ever really made a dent anyways). If we are to go by your errant marketshare theory, there should be at least 40+ viruses in the wild right now… but there isn’t and hasn’t been any effective, decently propagating viruses in the wild for over a decade.

Gee… maybe it has something to do with UNIX underpinnings in OS X? Research is your friend.

• TimmerCA says:

(I meant to include this in my original post)

Source for my statement about the existence of malware for MacOSX:

Source for my statement about market share:

• Ugly Canuck says:

On that point there can be no argument – to quote the Ferengi.

7. SonOfSamSeaborn says:

As long as you all keep prefixing everything with “cyber”, I’m not going to take any of these articles or comments seriously. It makes you sound like naive eighty-year-old loons.

• Cowicide says:

It makes you sound like naive eighty-year-old loons.

I think it makes one sound like they know how to use a dictionary.

cy•ber |ˈsībər|

adjective

of, relating to, or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality

Number is not an issue here. Apache Web Server has the largest market share yet the IIS with much smaller market share had more history of fatal attacks.