Russia: Cosmonaut's Day and Yuri Gagarin gala at the Kremlin (video)

15 Responses to “Russia: Cosmonaut's Day and Yuri Gagarin gala at the Kremlin (video)”

How appropriate that a guy named Miles O’Brien chose to be a space journalist

2. inkfumes says:

Shameless plug for my t-shirt that commemorates the cosmonauts lost to the Russian Space Program. Some were launched on modified R-52 Ballistic missiles at the Kapustin Yar launch base…

Farewell Cosmonaut: http://www.zazzle.com/farewell_cosmonaut_tshirt-235697851248014314

3. NoctilucentStudios says:

“”as we all trudged back to the hotel.””

Really Xeni, you trudged back? Or was it more like goosestepping with a joyous esprit de corps?

Amirite, Comrade?

4. Utenzil says:

Really very wonderful I think. I like that they show the more “human” reactions of the cosmonauts, their glee at being weightless, their relief on arriving home.

I remember reading comments from the US astronauts when the US/Russia docking exercise occurred, to the effect of “When we saw what they were flying in, the state of the safety gear, the limited backup systems, we gained a new respect for theese guys”.

People may say various bitter things, but we’re in a new century, let’s make the best of it. Off we go!!!

That dudes name is Miles O’Brien! So TNG right now!

6. jphilby says:

“Russian superiority in space….”

Hopefully they mentioned the names of some other cosmonauts that died so they could be ‘superior’.

7. lewis stoole says:

i love the black and white photo, it took me a second to realize that it was the present and not some sputnik era snapshot.

8. JIMWICh says:

I love that black and white photo, Xeni. It looks like you traveled back in time to early 1960s Moscow for family day at the Politburo. Which honestly wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

9. Robert says:

I hear they’re also demonstrating Photoshop techniques.

10. Yenisei says:

For your convenience: the sad but catchy tune in question is a song called ‘How young we used to be’ written in 1968 by Alexandra Pakhmutova for Alexander Gradsky. Here it’s delivered by the latter, with an overview of the lyrics in English. At the gala, I believe, the singers are the Turetsky Choir and Tamara Gverdtsiteli, although I’m not quite sure.

11. Kupuna says:

Note the black and white photo split on either side of the female cosmonaut photo. Nice little dig there!

SPOILER: