How the new Haunted Mansion hitchhiking ghosts work

8 Responses to “How the new Haunted Mansion hitchhiking ghosts work”

1. Freek says:

How would the old ride with the ghost just sitting next to you be more interesting and last longer then the new one?

Sure, it’s a nice little trick using mirrors, but when you are in the ride it’s about the experience and static ghost, no matter how interestingly or clever the mirror trick is, isn’t as fun as ghost that interact with you.
    If you can do this in your living room the ride will loose it’s “wow factor” no matter how the trick is done, wether it’s analog or digital.

2. ZillaMonster says:

That ride scared the living shit out of me when I was a kid. Thanks for the nightmares, Disney!

We just came back from a family weekend and I ahve to say the Haunted Mansion was Fantastic!

Lies! I’ll tell ya how it works. There are ghosts in the cars with you. Shut up Shut up Shut UP!

5. stygyan says:

I can’t believe it. I can’t really believe it. Get to 1:18 – you’ll see a piece of paper printed in COMIC SANS!

6. benatkin says:

That face in the picture looks a lot like Trollface.

7. 5onthe5 says:

A fascinating study (And if it already exists, link me to it please!) would be to chart the progress of “state of the art” at Disneyland versus its progress in customer’s homes.

What was mind-blowing back in, say, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990…?

Does Disneyland always have to be the same % more impressive than the experience available at home? Or does the gap widen / shrink through time?

• paulj says:

The point of the Disney rides isn’t to impress you with technology, it’s to create an experience you wouldn’t have anywhere else. The latest technology may or may not be required to accomplish this. After all, “It’s a Small World” is still around. Over the last 50 years or so, they’ve gotten very good at using appropriate technology to tell a story and create a memorable experience. Even with a Kinect II running on an XBox 720, you won’t be replicating the Haunted Mansion in your family room.