Dropbox CTO on their security policy

10 Responses to “Dropbox CTO on their security policy”

Compare and contrast:

specifically:

“No form of data or meta-data concerning the behavior of our customers or the contents of their filesystems, or
    even the customer data that we hold in our records for billing, will ever be divulged to any law enforcement
    officer or agency without order served directly by a US court having jurisdiction. Immediate notice will be
    given to any customer named in such a court order, and access to their files will not be interrupted unless
    specifically barred by the court order.”

and:

“No consumer or personal information about our customers of any kind will be divulged to any party for any reason.”

I guess what they meant to say is that, “There exist Dropbox employees who are not able to access user files.”

Perhaps the janitor. Perhaps all but one. Perhaps we’re having fun with the definition of employee!

3. Oskar says:

Don’t implicitly trust anyone when it comes to cryptography, people. If you want to make sure your stuff is safe in your Dropbox, just store a TrueCrypt-volume and put your stuff in there.

4. rourin_bushi says:

I love dropbox – it works well, and it’s super convenient. That said, I don’t keep anything in it that I’d consider secret. I’m not terribly concerned if someone manages to access my Diablo 2 save data or recipe list.

• MrsBug says:

True. My team uses it here at work, but mostly it’s graphic files and such that we all need to share. Nothing private.

• Anonymous says:

Are all of your team in the same office, with company workstations? If so, why not just use a server on the LAN rather than pushing stuff over to an off-site server and back?

• rourin_bushi says:

IIRC, there’s a feature in there that will cause a sync to look to other repositories on a machine’s local network before going out to hit the dropbox server. I’m not sure if it activates only for setting up an account on a new machine (sync from scratch), though – that’s the only time I noticed it. I’d installed Dropbox on my laptop, and the initial sync was lightning fast, as it was able to grab the data directly from my desktop.

I did use it to share sources with my teammate once in college. I couldn’t convince him to just use my SVN server >.>

5. Hubert Figuiere says:

I was always suspicious of the closed nature of Dropbox (yes, even on Linuxm there is a binary blob). I guess this just confirms it.

6. briefer says:

thirdly, I have an aversion to capital letters.

• floraldeoderant says:

dude just likes to keep things loose. like dropbox’s security and understanding of honesty.

that burn so harsh they gonna need skin grafts and a sterilized environment.