Slip N Snip Folding Scissors

13 Responses to “Slip N Snip Folding Scissors”

1. Art Carnage says:

These have been around for at least 40, if not 50 years. They may cut monofilament fishing line, but they’re useless on the modern super-braids of today. Micro-serrated scissors, which you can get for a few bucks at most fishing stores, will cut any fishing line.

Man. These came with this incredibly comprehensive sewing kit I bought about six years ago- it’s all in a tin about five inches across and an inch and a half deep, but it has everything you need, including self-threading needles… check those out!

3. Gunther says:

To me, the Fiskars folding scissors have better blades; besides that, they are a little more compact when folded. My review (in German) can be found here.

4. MelSkunk says:

Man every Girl Guide when I went to camp (late 80′s-mid 90′s) had a set of these, with a little extra eyelet at one end to put a string or lanyard through.

5. notplainjane says:

These are a knitter’s best friend.

Not so hot for large hands, finger nail clippers work better, are cheaper, and fit a better profile.

7. penguinchris says:

The Amazon page has a link to a similar item from Coghlan’s (in fact it looks identical other than the color). Wal-Mart sells a lot of Coghlan’s stuff, as do many not-high-end outdoors stores (i.e. Gander Mountain and Bass Pro, not REI or EMS).

I wonder if any of those stores carry them, and how much they charge – Wal-Mart in particular would be a great source if they carried these. I rarely shop at Wal-Marts but since they’re everywhere, it would be nice if they had them. If someone happens to know that they carry them, a comment here (including the price if known) would help lots of people who might be interested.

8. Peaked says:

Something about a pair of scissors called the Slip N Snip sends chills down my spine.

9. Boondocker says:

I carry a little Swiss Army knife (Victorinox) and — although it has a blade, tweezers, flathead, and a nail file — use it primarily for the tiny scissors. It also costs over three times the price of the above scissors. If I lose this knife (it’s my second) then maybe I’ll switch to scissors-only.

Ha ha! My mom has these from when I was little. She mostly used it when our family would go to restaurants and we had trouble reaching our straws in our drinks, even in a booster seat at the table. So my mom would whip out her scissors and snip the top off the plastic straw so we could easily drink. She’s also always ready to snip a thread on clothes or anything else she needs it for. She’s gotten comments since back in the 1980s about these scissors because of how they fold up. Thanks for the memory!

11. taj says:

My dad had a pair of those when I was a kid… Early 80s, maybe?
    They were great, and sharp enough (or more likely treasured enough) that he usually wouldn’t let us kids use them.

12. TechBob says:

Interesting thing: these are great traveling scissors as they comply with US TSA “carry-on” restrictions & I’ve had a pair in my travel kit for years. Unfortunately, TSA just turned Customs & TSA screening IN Canada to Canadian Gov Screeners (you pre-clear US customs in Canada at major airports like YVR) & they have different rules: nothing “pointyever! After 10 yrs making the round trip to Vancouver several times a year – my lovely little scissors were confiscated …

13. nanner says:

i always had a pair like that all through elementary school (70s-80s) i loved them and appreciated the fact that i *could* run with them if they were folded up! also, safe to carry in my pocket. I am sure my mom had a cheap source for them lol