Homebrew street-sweeper

22 Responses to “Homebrew street-sweeper”

Hmmmmm
    I’m goin down down baby, yo’ street in a Range Rover (c’mon)
    Street sweeper baby, cocked ready to let it go (HOT SHIT!)
    Shimmy shimmy cocoa what? Listen to it pound
    Light it up and take a puff, pass it to me now

Its a crashing helicopter.

I saw one of these in Qinghuangdao years ago – 2003, i guess it was. I think they must be somewhat common.

4. kmoser says:

Maybe it’s just performance art. A Chinese Banksy, if you will.

5. Jake0748 says:

Every time I scroll past this story, I keep thinking the headline says: “HEBREW Street-Sweeper”. Unfortunately, I’m strapped for a good joke to go along… anybody?

6. narddogz says:

It looks like it belongs on Gilligan’s Island

7. Keneke says:

It is not rubegoldbergian at all, just beautifully mechanical.

• Anonymous says:

Agreed – it’s practically the opposite of a Rube Goldberg device. Seems to be a rotating broom hooked up to a motor, making it pretty much the simplest possible solution.

Isn’t this Japanese?

9. Robert says:

Don’t (actual) street sweepers pick up trash? This is more a sort of device to move litter into the gutter. But hey, it does work.

• davejenk1ns says:

Robert hit the nail on the head: this is a horrible device. At best, it sweeps dust into the gutter and up on to the sidewalk. At worst, it kicks up dust into the air and only worsens the air quality. A proper street sweeper actually vacuums up dust for proper removal.

This is a video made by a Japanese viewer, and it’s been passed around Japan for quite sometime now– not in a good “yay! maker!” way that seems to be preoccupying BB lately, but in a teasing “wow– look at those bassackward hillbillies next door” kind of way.

China is growing rapidly, and with that comes pains. Some bureaucrat somewhere probably mandated that streets must be swept, and this is the local (cheap, unhelpful) solution. Japanese have a certain schadenfreude (maybe I would call it 意地悪[ijiwaru]?) toward the Chinese. Japanese people see this “economic miracle” but they cannot help but point out the goofy 3rd world qualities of it all.

Gilligan’s Island indeed.

• ROSSINDETROIT says:

Who knows what the actual requirements were? Maybe this fits the need perfectly. It’s China, and their standards apply, not ours.

• Ocker3 says:

Exactly, maybe it’s more about actual pieces of junk on the road rather than dust. Considering China’s problems with air pollution, trying to vacuam it up at ground level is probably an exercise in futility.

Definitely not Goldberg. I think the Chinese are taking design cues from DaVinci’s sketchbooks.

11. ROSSINDETROIT says:

You could make that (fairly) easily with a drive axle. Turn it 90 degrees so the drive shaft was pointing up. Weld to the drive shaft a hub to carry the brooms. then when it was pulled the drive shaft would rotate and spin the brooms.
    I like a simple and elegant solution to a problem.
    This is Win.

12. buhbuhcuh says:

I have to agree with Keneke on this one, it’s just gorgeous.

13. avraamov says:

looks more heath robinson to me…

14. Jean-Luc Turbo says:

It has a poetic Cthulhu quality, if you will…

15. seanmichaelragan says:

Europeans and estadounidenses would never use bamboo for construction scaffolding, either, but the Chinese do it all the time and it works great, from what I hear. I think this is just a cultural difference: We see “Gilligan’s island,” they see, “cheap and gets it done.”

Kind of looks like it’s picking up dirt from the dirtpath at right and putting it on the road…