RIP, Joanna Russ

8 Responses to “RIP, Joanna Russ”

She was really one of the best. I hate hearing my heroes die.

Just discovered her recently courtesy of the great Sam Delany’s “The Jewel-Hinged Jaw”. “Picnic on Paradise” is one of the strangest stories I’ve read.

3. wgmleslie says:

I enjoyed her novel “And Chaos Died” immensely.

(It just missed winning the 1970 Nebula award.)

Joanna was a post-graduate supervisor on my Masters degree and a friend. She was there for me when I broke up with my husband. She rejoiced with me when I received my PhD.

I remember once bursting out in an elevator with her that “Men and women both should be able to wear tulle and rick-rack, and people will still respect them for the professionalism of their work or the quality of their writing.” In the mid-eighties it was a wonderful thing that she saw my sentiment as reasonable and not laughable.

She was a bright, broadminded, humorous woman with amazing insight and stunning prose. I loved the characters and worlds she created. More than that I loved her.

Go well beloved mentor.

Dr Katherine Phelps

Russ was a trailblazer. Though not a spec fic reader myself, the fact that she wrote made it easier for lesbian and feminist writers to be heard. I honor you, Joanna. Lee Lynch

I had never heard of this author. Feminist sci-fi?? I’m so fracking THERE. Going to the library now. R.I.P., Joanna…

7. Pipenta says:

I was a fan. Would have loved to have heard her riffing on the fan fiction.

8. Starshadow says:

I used to see her a lot around Seattle when she lived here, and she was always very supportive of the lesbian community, dropping off books for the now-defunct Lesbian Resource Center’s library and kindly giving me a few for myself. I will miss Joanna Russ the person more than the writer, though I loved most all of her writing, even though I hadn’t spoken to her in many years, since she moved to Tuscon.

May her journey to the Summerland be a good one. I will miss her but I thank her for the huge body of work she left.

She was one of a kind, and a muse.