Internet jihadis not amused by bin Laden's death

92 Responses to “Internet jihadis not amused by bin Laden's death”

1. MertvayaRuka says:

A week, a month, a year from now, we’re still going to be bogged down in three different military actions, Al Qaeda will still be around, our economy will still be struggling and our own fundamentalists will still be busy trying to dismantle every safety net we have and codify discrimination into our laws.

It’s not nihilism to say this is less than meaningless. Even now this is being used to justify torture and legitimize extrajudicial execution. So we killed one bad guy. Big. Fucking. Deal. There’s plenty more to take his place that are doubtless not scared or impressed enough by Osama Bin Laden’s death to think twice about it. Also, just because there’s no grave site doesn’t mean he’s not going to be memorialized as a martyr who died bravely fighting against the enemies of Islam. Retaliation will be planned in his name. Our enemies will talk about how the most powerful military in the world needed YEARS to find and kill one man who had no standing army, no air power, no conventional forces of any kind to oppose them.

You’ll excuse me if I don’t see much cause for celebration in this Pyrrhic victory.

2. Shart Tsung says:

“Nothing even matters..at all.”

3. teapot says:

I wish some of these stories would LINK the forums in question… These losers are just trolls and they need to be counter-trolled.

4. Lobster says:

Pardon me, but what is a chocolatey Muslim?

I like chocolate.

• CheshireKitty says:

A chocolatey Muslim might be a fake chocolate Muslim, because if if it’s not REAL chocolate, they can’t call it that. Like a ‘creme’ or ‘kreme’ filling.

That said, chocolate Muslims? Like chocolate bunnies or Santas? I could get behind that! I think we’re on to something!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I thought that Chocolaty Muslims might be an unsavory reference to the Nation of Islam since it’s in a list of apostate groups.

5. gths says:

The ironic thing is that the whole “Celebrating Death Like Our Enemies Do” circus just shows that we’re all people.

But I can let that slide because it was a moment of catharsis for a lot of people, particularly in NYC and Washington.

I’m not inclined to celebrate like that but I’m certainly not sorry the guy is dead. But maybe I’m just a little glad he lived long enough to see the secular revolts in Egypt, Tunisia, etc. which were pretty much a repudiation of what he trying to achieve.

6. teapot says:

I will celebrate anything that makes me happy. Even if that is the violent death of someone I hate. If you have a problem with that, go tell your therapist.

PS: I’m gonna party when Bush keels over, too.

7. noen says:

The people celebrating here in the US are not “taking pleasure in the death of a human being”. They are rejoicing that justice has been delivered to one who earned it.

Osama bin Laden was justly executed for his crimes against humanity. He set in motion those events that lead inevitably to his death. He and he alone bears the responsibility for his actions, and he has paid the price.

Justice is sweet.

8. Antinous / Moderator says:

Justice is sweet.

Justice is conventionally dispensed by a court of law. This has more in common with a lynching. If your morals disappear when you’re confronted by the Big Bad Man, you never had any to begin with.

• glaborous immolate says:

Lynchings generally weren’t overseen by the lawfuly elected supreme executive authority of the state, against a long designated and vetted enemy thereof, who violated the laws of warfare while acting as a combatant against the people of the united states.

Conventionally justice is dispensed by a court. But the executive has a role in dispensing justice against militants.

• teapot says:

Justice is conventionally dispensed by a court of law*.
      *theoretically.
      Do courts in China or Zimbabwe dispense justice? Technically, yes. Practically, no.

I’d say noen’s comment re justice probably refers to the 5th definition of “justice” as listed on dictionary.com:
      “5. the administering of deserved punishment or reward.”

Promoting and coordinating the deaths of innocent civilians to promote your ideological ends? I’d say that a bullet in the head is a deserved punishment for that.

Some actions are bad enough to void a person’s rights. I reserve the right to not give a flying fuck when the standard course of justice is not applied to such people. Bin Laden doesn’t deserve formal justice as he has never given that luxury to those he opposed. Americans are evil-by-birth in the mind of OBL and his followers… is that a fair view?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

As opposed to every other criminal in history, who’s shown up for their crimes with candy and flowers and played by the rules? If you become the mob, you’ll find yourself being kettled sooner or later.

If you don’t set the standards for civility and demand that governments adhere to them, where do you think this will lead? Do you really belief that endorsing political assassination will lead to greater peace and more human rights? You can’t have it both ways.

• Mister44 says:

Ideals are great, but they don’t always work in the real world. Sometimes it is the Kobayashi Maru scenario, and you just have to lose the lease amount you can.

With it done and over, there is closure and everyone can move on. There was no question of guilt here, nor a question of what punishment he faced. I can’t think of anything gained by doing it another way.

• teapot says:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My comment was more implying that those who choose to take justice into their own hands should not be surprised, martyred or mourned when their justice is similarly mishandled.

Nope… this is just blood-lust. Tasty, tasty blood-lust (Hey, at least I’m not kidding myself). I cannot see how this, apart from its symbolic significance, will lead to either peace or greater human rights but nor can I see how the issue would have been otherwise resolved. As others have mentioned – OBL wasn’t ever going to be captured alive after seeing what the US has done to prisoners at Guantanamo, and the circus that was Hussein’s trial and eventual execution (not that the US was wholly responsible for that).

I have to give it to you anti… you are a stronger man than I. Sometimes I turn a blind eye and let my emotions win over my internal moral compass :)

• PlaneShaper says:

While I agree that everyone deserves formal justice, I also think that someone can refuse to comply and decline such a formality based on the actions they take. I think calling this akin to a lynch mob and/or an assassination is not valid or genuine. We would not say the same about a police officer trying to apprehend a known dangerous murderer who suddenly brandishes a firearm and subsequently gets shot. Nor would we suggest that our police forces should not pursue these people to seek justice just because they have a heightened risk of being killed during an apprehension attempt.

I know my words will probably never convince someone of this, but as often as is safely possible our Special Operations Forces provide the opportunity to surrender peaceably. We can debate all night long about whether surrendering to and being apprehended by US forces truly is a better option, but these are the executive forces that we have been using for the past several decades to seek out those who have caused great harm to our people.

Yes, traditional justice was not served, he was not found guilty after a trial with the available evidence. But neither are criminals who wind up getting killed while pursued by the police. Yet, that does mean they have paid for their crimes. This was not some lynching.

• andyhavens says:

Couple problems with this…

1. Justice, while often dispensed by a court of law, is not required by its nature to be so. A “natural state” of justice is often observed; in that, colloquially, “what goes around comes around.” Also, being confronted by the or logical consequences of laws (whether of man or nature), can be seen as “justice.” That is, if you sleep outside, naked, in the freezing winter, your death can be seen as just. If you are forever lying to your friends, your eventual lack thereof is just. If you fuck with a nation state and order the killing of its citizens, your own planned demise can reasonably be seen as just.

2. A lynching? Really? To me, that cheapens the martyrdom of actual victims of real lynchings. The term tends to have an association of either, a) complete innocence on the part of the victim, or at least; b) a total lack of process or legality. The US has said, for going on 10 years, that Bin Laden was an enemy combatant. He declared war on the US. Killing him in this fashion, while arguably somewhat barbaric, is in no way unjust. It conforms to many of our rules about how we handle enemies.

3. If my morals include a requirement to not stand up for myself against the Big Bad Man, then you are correct. If, however, my morals state that self defense against the Big Bad Man is OK, then I can keep my morals intact and still fuck him up. Morality and justice overlap sometimes (hopefully most of the time). But not always.

• Anonymous says:

So how would you capture this guy alive? It is a suicide death cult. They really really want to die in battle for the imaginary dude in the sky.

Should SEAL’s have died trying to tase him to spare his life?

What are the options? Let him continue on? Do this with the dubiously aligned Pakistanis?

“His enemies are not demons,
    but human beings like himself.
    He doesn’t wish them personal harm.
    Nor does he rejoice in victory.
    How could he rejoice in victory
    and delight in the slaughter of men?

He enters a battle gravely,
    with sorrow and with great compassion,
    as if he were attending a funeral.”
    -Lao Tsu (Tao Te Ching)

Racist… They’re just like us!

American courts of law authorized killing bin Laden ten years ago, using all appropriate force and extreme prejudice. bin Laden was not an innocent civilian, he was a marked man. The US military acted with the full endorsement of the civilian arm of the government.

Hence, yes, justice was served.

12. artaxerxes says:

Like teapot, I’m always pleased when a festering, hate-mongering anal sore of a man kicks the bucket, whether he’s Osama bin Laden, Sepp Dietrich, Josef Frizl, Jesse Helms or Strom Thurmond.

ps. Can we have our rights back now? (Please consider that a rhetorical question as the true answer would only make me sink further into depression. Much as would looking at any pictures of shirtless yahoos mindlessly celebrating on the figurative front lawn of the White House.)

pss. “House Negros”? WTF. Not that I’m surprised by the ignorance and hate, but still… I’d love to give that poster a swift crack in the lower lumbar with a two by four. Purely for purposes of enlightenment. Really. Cross my heart.

13. No Imagination says:

Let’s not forget, bin Laden several times announced that he was at war with the United States. This was an act of war. He engaged in a firefight and was killed. It wasn’t an asassination. It wasn’t an act of vengeance. It wasn’t an execution, or an act of vigilanteism. He was killed in a firefight. An act of war. He could’ve surrendered when out numbered and overpowered. He chose to fight on, guaranteeing his own death. Sometimes there is no subtlety. He died because he refused to surrender.

I say Bootsy Collins is first responder for Earth:

15. 1 down MANY to go says:

Apparently, this IDIOT is a follower of a murderer (bin laded – aka bin hiding)! Congrats on the brainwashing you received! The moron was killed by the US because of his terrorism throughout our country! Yes, we are ECSTATIC over the death of a person who terrorized MANY, and killed MANY innocent people. By the way, I remember seeing people in the Middle East gathering to celebrate 9/11 !! Is there a difference NOW? Honestly, I offer you a PORK chop, beer, “incestuous” (you already have with your many wives and inbreeding), some “red neck” ideas of how to REALLY fight (instead of doing it like Bin Hiding and hide like a COWARD). If you are a follower of Bin Hiding, ALL he has taught you is how to start something and then run, therefore being a COWARD just like he was!! ANYONE with the idea that if you die during a jihad that you get 1000 virgins needs their HEAD EXAMINED! Also, anyone who thinks that “hogs” are unclean, and that you’ll go to hell for eating it needs their head examined! YES, I’m talking about YOU!!!!

Actually, nihilism is exactly the lack of meaning. And what is less than meaningless mean? It either is or isn’t meaningless.

USians are really thick and these celebrations is disgusting. Can’t they understand that celebrating someone getting killed is always wrong and that celebrating the killing of someone that is seen as a hero by so many and who have done so much good to so many, is going to create hate among all those he have helped and create sympathy for him among even more people.

Yes, he is (indirectly) responsible for the murder of about 3.500 innocent American civilians and roughly the same amount of non-American civilians. But in the “War on Terror”, by the hands of US troops and allies, at least 2.000.0000 innocent civilians have been killed, at least 6.000 innocent civilians imprisoned and tortured, and at least 80.000 raped, there are no statistics about how many innocent civilians who have been shot or beaten up by US lead forces, but it is millions (not just by accident, I’ve heard stories from people who have witnessed the US army having a fun time with the civilian population in areas they control). And that is just how many innocents that have suffered at the responsibility of the US government since 2001. USA started the war against the Muslim world a very long time ago.

Al-Quada was founded as a reaction in the 1990′s to the US treachery towards the Mujahideen and other allies during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, which caused the death of millions of US allies, and as a reaction to the support by USA for Israel during some really cruel and merciless attacks against Libyians and Palestines.

I’m not Muslim (I’m an Atheist). I’m not pro-Al-Queda. I’m not pro-bin-Laden. But how the US people and government is acting and have acted is just disgusting. I live in Sweden and I’m an ethnic Swede. The share of people that is not ethnic Swedes and live in Sweden have risen from less then 2% to 10% since 2001. This is because of the stream of refugees fleeing from violence caused by The War on Terror. It is not the first time USA caused such a torrent of refugees to Sweden, it also happened during the Vietnam war and we have had many smaller spikes of refugees when USA have invaded other countries (at times, we have even had a couple of thousand negroes fleeing surges of racial discrimination in USA, even if most of those refugees preferred Netherlands or France, they started a really good Jazz and Blues scene in Sweden).

I want everybody to read this poem from when the hostilities between the Islam world and USA started in 1881 (when USA slaughtered almost one million civilian Muslims, just because they were Muslims, and tortured tens of thousands of innocents). It is delightfully ironic and pretty much sums up the situation today.

The White Man’s Burden
    Rudyard Kipling

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    Send forth the best ye breed–
    Go bind your sons to exile
    To serve your captives’ need;
    To wait in heavy harness,
    On fluttered folk and wild–
    Your new-caught, sullen peoples,
    Half-devil and half-child.

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    In patience to abide,
    To veil the threat of terror
    And check the show of pride;
    By open speech and simple,
    An hundred times made plain
    To seek another’s profit,
    And work another’s gain.

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    The savage wars of peace–
    Fill full the mouth of Famine
    And bid the sickness cease;
    And when your goal is nearest
    The end for others sought,
    Watch sloth and heathen Folly
    Bring all your hopes to nought.

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    No tawdry rule of kings,
    But toil of serf and sweeper–
    The tale of common things.
    The ports ye shall not enter,
    The roads ye shall not tread,
    Go mark them with your living,
    And mark them with your dead.

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    And reap his old reward:
    The blame of those ye better,
    The hate of those ye guard–
    The cry of hosts ye humour
    (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:–
    “Why brought he us from bondage,
    Our loved Egyptian night?”

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    Ye dare not stoop to less–
    Nor call too loud on Freedom
    To cloke your weariness;
    By all ye cry or whisper,
    By all ye leave or do,
    The silent, sullen peoples
    Shall weigh your gods and you.

Take up the White Man’s burden–
    Have done with childish days–
    The lightly proferred laurel,
    The easy, ungrudged praise.
    Comes now, to search your manhood
    Through all the thankless years
    Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom,
    The judgment of your peers!

18. johnphantom says:

Actually I have more to say about this, and I have been painfully biting my tongue.

OK, noen, so you judge the complete motive of a movement that has been, by your own words, started half a century ago because of one thing a particular man said. I guess by the same measure you can judge Bush to be a complete moron on one thing he said; mistaking Australian soldiers as Austrians, too, right?

That was one expressed reason given by that one man at one particular time. To think that is the entire basis of something like this is fucking stupid.

What disturbs me the most, so far, is the fact that Cheney came right out, within hours, and praised Obama. There are plenty of red flags down the line over the past 24 and beyond hours, but this is a burning inferno the size of the World Trade Center.

Do you really think that someone like Cheney would hear something like this (bin Laden dead) and set himself directly in front of cameras for the public, which he has rarely ever done, and say that a man diametrically opposed to him (Obama, since you don’t seem to have a clue), is “Great!” without saying to himself, “Well I need to take a moment to think about this”?

• noen says:

@ johnphantom
      “I have been painfully biting my tongue.”“OK, noen, so you judge the complete motive of a movement that has been, by your own words, started half a century ago because of one thing a particular man said.”

Uh… yeah, especially since today’s Islamic extremists credit him with creating the movement that lead directly to terrorism.

Sayyid Qutb was a leading Islamic theologian so… yes, I feel justified in blaming him for what those who follow him do just as I feel justified in blaming Fred Phelps for what his followers do. But it wasn’t one thing he said, he developed an entire theological and political philosophy based on his tribalistic reaction to modern society:

“the American girl is well acquainted with her body’s seductive capacity. She knows it lies in the face, and in expressive eyes, and thirsty lips. She knows seductiveness lies in the round breasts, the full buttocks, and in the shapely thighs, sleek legs — and she shows all this and does not hide it.”

“The American is primitive in his artistic taste, both in what he enjoys as art and in his own artistic works. “Jazz” music is his music of choice. This is that music that the Negroes invented to satisfy their primitive inclinations, as well as their desire to be noisy on the one hand and to excite bestial tendencies on the other.”

I understand that the poor in the middle east have been treated badly by us and others. That does not excuse them because there is not causal connection between what is done to you and how you choose to react. We are free. We have the ability to choose between alternative outcomes. If you are oppressed by your own government or foreign ones you have the ability to decide how you respond. Terrorism is a choice.

“What disturbs me the most, so far, is the fact that Cheney came right out, within hours, and praised Obama.”

From the fact that Dick Cheney praised Obama it does not follow that what Obama did was not praiseworthy. This tribalistic thinking — that the friend of my enemy is my enemy (my enemy, Cheney, praises my friend, Obama, therefore I can no longer count Obama as a friend) — this is insanity. I prefer to base my appraisal of what people do on whether or not they adhere to fundamental values we share and not on tribal allegiances.

I also refuse to participate in western guilt many have today over their own civilization. So I do not fetishize blacks or Native Americans or the Palestinians or Islam. I judge them on their actions and whether or not those actions live up to the values I believe in.

Decide what your values are, associate yourself with those who share your values, then fight to defend them. Choose wisely.

19. travtastic says:

So I gather from the comments that the next right we hand away will be the one about fair trials and all that other boring stuff.

Thanks, everyone!

20. spriggan says:

• noen says:

spriggan said: “So why are we at war again? Sounds like the human race sucks the whole world around. Better to just hit the reset button. Nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure, right Hicks?”

God I hate Leftist nihilism. In case you forgot we are at war with a small group of religious fundamentalists who’s tribal values were deeply offended when one of them visited the US in the fifties and saw ::gasp!:: boys and girls dancing together. That was the motive behind one of the progenitors of what we now call Islamic terrorism. It wasn’t because we oppressed them, though we did and that was wrong. It was because we are sexually and socially liberal in ways that tribal communities cannot tolerate.

They hate us because we let boys and girls dance together, because we allow women a role in society other than that of a brood mare and because we question religious authorities. As much as I disliked him Bush really had it right. They hate us for precisely those values that make us free. They will not rest until either they or we are all dead. Which I am only too happy to oblige them.

• Enormo says:

God I hate Leftist nihilism.

The only difference between leftist nihilism and rightist nihilism is that, on the right, God hits the reset button for you.

• johnphantom says:

“God I hate Leftist nihilism. In case you forgot we are at war with a small group of religious fundamentalists who’s tribal values were deeply offended when one of them visited the US in the fifties and saw ::gasp!:: boys and girls dancing together. That was the motive behind one of the progenitors of what we now call Islamic terrorism.”

Yeah things like the USA spreading democracy around the world by taking out a democratically elected leader in Iran, because he nationalized Iran’s petroleum industry, through president Eisenhower’s authorized Operation Ajax, to install a military dictator that was later ousted by a religious leader, has nothing to do with it.

• Wally Ballou says:

Aw c’mon noen, you know it’s all the same thing.

They behead gays, we don’t let gays get married.

They whack off a hand for shoplifting, we have reciept checkers at Fry’s.

Of course a Martian would agree that we are as evil as they.

• MertvayaRuka says:

“They behead gays, we don’t let gays get married.”

Or assault and murder them and blame them for their own fate. Or tell them their relationships are worthless and they’re sick perverts who we would behead if we weren’t so civilized and nice.

“They whack off a hand for shoplifting, we have reciept checkers at Fry’s.”

Or shoot someone 41 times for pulling out a wallet, or tase and club the fuck out of them for displaying insufficient cringe in the face of law enforcement.

“They sexually mutilate little girls at birth, we don’t have 51% women CEO’s in the Fortune 500.”

And we call women sluts who deserve to be raped because of their clothing or lifestyle choices and respond with insults, threats and violence when they don’t act like vending machines for sex.

“Of course a Martian would agree that we are as evil as they.”

Well good on you, Earthman. You’ve adequately detailed the inhuman savagery of their culture and can now do what you will to them with a clear conscience, secure in the knowledge of your superior moral justification and their inherent moral and cultural inferiority.

I’m not going to applaud how much deeper our veneer of civilization is than theirs when all it does is serve to obfuscate and justify the same kind of ass-backwards violence and ignorance. If your selling point is “we’re not as bad as the guys who mutilate women and execute homosexuals”, sorry, not interested.

21. Rotwang says:

• alowishus says:

Love the idea. Seems like it would be great for the gene pool, too, considering most of the hotheads are 18-ish and have yet to reproduce.

• johnphantom says:

“Can we just have our fools and their fools fight it out on an island somewhere safe?”

Yeah lets send them all to Austria!

• Anonymous says:

“Yeah lets send them all to Austria!”

Internet Pedant Guy to the rescue!–> Austria is landlocked, so it’s really kind of the opposite of an island. Also, last time a group of fools got together to fight it out in Austria,they killed a grand duke and a world war broke out. I nominate somewhere else.

• johnphantom says:

“Yeah lets send them all to Austria!”

—————-

You didn’t get that joke at all, did you?

It’s a meme. Bush made the mistake of calling Australian troups Austrian, and I was calling Australia an island, when it is a continent. Yeah, a seven word joke that had two levels of funny…

22. lakelady says:

just goes to show that crudity, bloated egos and rudeness are not unique to the USA

23. Alvis says:

I’m struggling to read “uncle sams” as an insult.

24. Quiet Wyatt says:

Is a Chocolaty Muslim similar in flavor to My Sweet Jesus?

25. Xopher says:

Antinous, it was NOT a lynching, and it’s infuriating that you would use the term. It’s so incomparable that it’s insulting (to the victims of real lynchings).

As many have pointed out, it was a firefight, he was shooting back, he could have surrendered. He HAD to be taken down; he insisted he would never stop fighting as long as he lived; therefore he had to die.

I think it’s just. plain. crazy. to claim that people shouldn’t celebrate the death of someone who would have killed every single decent human being on the planet if he could have. His death is a legitimate cause for joy, and great joy should be expressed and shared.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

You’ve debased yourself to their level.

• ibbers says:

agreed.

i’m glad he’s dead. i’m muslim, and whilst the Muslim Extreme Right is still causing considerable pain and horror around the world, particularly in the Muslim World, at least they don’t have their untouchable reality tv star anymore.

it’ll take some steam out of their engine in the long run, give regular muslims some breathing space, and strengthen the attractiveness of the Arab Spring style actions.

26. Radka says:

It’s not right to celebrate anyone’s death, no matter what they did. Killing Osama was a bad move for the US. The repercussions of this will soon be seen. Al Qaeda doesn’t need Bin Ladin but now they have an ultimate martyr.

• Xopher says:

It’s not right to celebrate anyone’s death, no matter what they did.

Why?

Killing Osama was a bad move for the US.

Why?

The repercussions of this will soon be seen.

How?

Al Qaeda doesn’t need Bin Ladin but now they have an ultimate martyr.

Did you read the thread before commenting? Or are you just here to make pronouncements unsupported by either fact or thoughtful commentary, and skip out?

• Mister44 says:

re: “It’s not right to celebrate anyone’s death, no matter what they did”

Why is it we have a hundred years or so of ‘civil’ living, and we think this some how elevates us to some new pacifist level that contradicts 200K years or so of evolution?

Not every sperm is sacred, and not every ‘snowflake’ is precious.

well, i have to be honest and say that i thought the same thing. anytime i see a bunch of college kids getting hammered i’m always a bit disgusted though. usually the more of them that multiply in a crowd ..the more their brain cells divide.

28. ill lich says:

Well, not that I want to agree with some internet jihadi, but I thought the celebrating was in bad taste too. Celebrating murder, it’s just so vile. Those celebrations reminded me of the “death to America” celebrations you still see in Pakistan, or more aptly all the various celebrations of 9/11 and glorification of bin Laden that took place in the Middle East immediately following September 11th, 2001, this overwhelming joy that “those other people” had been killed by “your people.”

The holier-than-thou tone of the above quoted jihadi doesn’t sound all that different from the stuff a lot of American bigots say about Muslims.

29. jphilby says:

I think David Sirota hits the right note on this.

Considering the hundreds of millions of war dead in the past century, some people never seem to run short of the enthusiasm to celebrate one more. We’re all in this together, Hatfields and McCoys.

30. squid flavored mouthwash says:

Well, although I personally think that we should not celebrate murder, there was plenty of footage of people in the middle east celebrating on 9/11, celebrating the damage done to the US, maybe this guy doesn’t remember that.

• Anonymous says:

that doesn’t mean we have to sink to their level…though i don’t disagree that its fair for us to feel that way, i don’t really think we need to flaunt it.

31. bersl2 says:

These posters feel troll-erific.

32. Rindan says:

Just look at those beer-drinking, hog-eating, incestuous, red-necks, uncle sams, house negros…all celebrating outside the White House. It’s like a holiday for them. Really a sad bunch of people. I’m just waiting for the Chocolaty Muslims, Talafies [fake Salafi Muslims], and those borderline murtad[apostates]/moderates to join the ugly bandwagon of cheering this so-called victory.

u mad?

33. Headbone says:

Apostates will be pursued by the templars.

–Loogie Hawke, Champion of Kirkwald, 2011 May 2

34. bklynchris says:

Is it reassuring? Fascinating? Depressing?

That those toward whom our “rednecks” direct their vitriol are just as racist as they are.

“house negros”? C’mon man, wtf?

Gol dabnit, only OUR racists get to be racist.

35. oldtaku says:

I don’t think it should surprise anyone that an Islamic message board would read exactly like a FOX news comment thread. Same people, different magical fictional being.

36. Pete! says:

While this guy who posted is obviously a bit of a fool, it’s understandable what he is saying considering that every photo you see of the people celebrating outside the white house are young white folk with trendy sunglasses on – many of them have found shirts to be optional and seem quite drunk as well.

Americans seem surprised that people in the middle east hate them, yet all you have to do is look at those photos to see why.

Sorry, this isn’t meant to be overly harsh towards Americans (many are lovely people), I’m just trying to say that it’s idiots on both sides, and it’s only the idiots that the other side sees.

37. pyster says:

It’s a celebration of justice. Justice is not something limited to a court room or a trial. When the evidence is incontrovertible formalities are nice but not required to serve justice. Justice is little more than being fair. Executing Osama was absolutely fair, and just. He was a sociopathic mass murderer. It is regrettable that he only had one life to give. Anyone calling this murder or questioning if this is justice really doesnt understand the concept of justice and perhaps should repeat the mantra “beh” until they understand.

When abhorrent people whom have taken lives die, no matter the circumstance, rejoicing is in order. It’s one more jerk preventing humanity from ascending to something better eliminated. As those who served the Bush Reich in it’s mass murder die off likewise rejoicing will be in order.

38. Xopher says:

If jihadis (I really don’t like that term; it overdignifies these assholes) are pissed off, we must be doing something right.

I think celebrations are appropriate in this circumstance. Good riddance to bin Laden; may every member of Al Qaeda, down to the guy who makes the sandwiches, suffer his same fate!

39. Xopher says:

Shorter me, to jihadis: Nyah, nyah, nyah. Also, neener neener, stupid fuggheads.

40. Ed Ligget. Tuba. says:

“Time wounds all heels.”

41. delt664 says:

To the commenter in the OP, I have been saving my first use of the following phrase for the perfect occasion, and here it is:

Lol u mad?

42. mreddy1 says:

mmm, Chocolaty Muslims. i think i got one of those in my easter basket last week.

43. noen says:

“Internet jihadis not amused by bin Laden’s death”

I could care less. Let them suck on it. Let them taste the ashes of despair they so richly deserve. The people they murdered did nothing to them and Barack Obama has shown them far more compassion than they have for their victims.

44. Floyd R Turbo says:

Thanks for the Salon piece…

It’s not like the Internet jihadist crowd were huge fans anyway. A double tap to the left of his melon is scant justice for all of his murder — even Obama sees that.
    Too bad he didn’t get to take a header from 110 stories to avoid burning to death.

45. xian says:

Is it silly of me to wonder why there exists a jihadi message board that’s in english?

• archmagetrexasaurus says:

No it is not silly, (well, maybe a bit).

I’d guess it has to do with the availability of QWERTY keyboards, the prevalence of MS Windows, and the relatively easy access to English education in areas that call centers might be built in or get regular visits from big energy/touristy/whatever other foreign folks that can better be exploited by an English-literate populous.

46. HubrisSonic says:

>,incestuous

hunh wha?

hmm…. project much?

47. pinehead says:

Attention Jihadis:

bin Laden got what he deserved because he was a mass murderer, plain and simple. His ideology is completely irrelevant. Anybody’s ideology is irrelevant in the face of our actions.

On the other hand, any true Jihadi is too brainwashed and consumed with daddy issues to understand what I’m saying. Allahu Ackbar, indeed.

48. rebdav says:

So if we can accept that murder or ordering and planning a successful mass murder operation is a high enough crime for the death penalty and we also accept that BinLaden was sane at the time of 9-11 then his frequent admission of guilt should bypass the need for a trial in extraordinary circumstances such as the warlike state that has existed between his organization and the United States.
    Dancing in the street over one terrible @$$holes death is pretty douchy itself, in the past we partied when an enemy nation folded and offered terms of surrender.

I think it’s very reasonable to appreciate the justice in the act, but I’m extremely uncomfortable with finding pleasure in the death of another human being, no matter how deserved the fate.

The death of a human being is a very serious matter, and I don’t think lowering ourselves to his level by finding enjoyment here is a good thing.

50. Tritty says:

‎”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that” — Martin Luther King, J

51. mausium says:

Well, we are a brutal, violent people who find that “we” can cheer on in the face of murdering civilians outside this country.

52. Pope Ratzo says:

Just as I was thinking that the over exuberant, if understandable, celebrating of Americans in Washington and New York was a little too much, it’s good to know that the religious extremists on the other side are just as likely to act like a bunch of homers whose football team has just been beaten by a rival.

The comments by these “pious” “religious” “fundamentalists” are even more over-the-top stupid and childish as anything you’d hear on WFAN after a Giants loss to the Eagles.

No matter how high our self-regard, we never seem to get much further than a bunch of grunting cave-men, do we?

53. Drabula says:

I am no fan of Islam (or Christianity) but I have a solid enough grasp of history to know that these jihadist types don’t materialize out of thin air. Sure, maybe some ‘hate our freedoms’ but they also hate the fact that the CIA overthrew Mossadegh in Iran in 1953 and installed the Shah and trained the SAVAK. That regime’s brutality led to the Islamic revolution. I’ve also paid attention to the plight of Palestinians.
    How many in this thread or those celebrating in the streets have ever had their home or neighborhood bombed by a superpower? Have you ever had to carry your dead child out of the rubble of your home? How do you think that would make you feel about the people dropping the bombs or the nation who supplied them?
    I wish to hell the USA had a clean, moral track record in world affairs so I too could be 100% sure that anyone who opposed us was simply an evil crank. Such a simple point of view must make life a whole lot easier.

• Mister44 says:

Stuff like this just drives me bonkers. Evidently your grasp on history isn’t tight enough to recall that they have been killing one another just fine with out the help of the US for thousands of years in the middle-east.

I mean the over all pessimism in some of the posts just makes you want to jump in the tub and slit your wrists. You have to search and find negatives just to – I dunno – be contrary. Go against the flow because you aren’t a sheep to be herded. Obtuse statements that want to paint the US as the demon of the world, ready to devour its soul – and that is just not true.

re: “Our enemies will talk about…”

Maybe they will talk about their tenacity and long memory. That they are not just going to ‘go away’ or ‘forget about you’.

You are right that this won’t effect the ‘war on terror’ much, but its effect on the American psyche could be profound.

The Doolittle raids didn’t cause much damage, but the boost to morale was invaluable.

Bleh – I’m going to bed. Some of you need some happy pills.

• MertvayaRuka says:

“You have to search and find negatives just to – I dunno – be contrary. Go against the flow because you aren’t a sheep to be herded.”

With all due respect, the negatives are right there staring you in the face, they don’t need to be sought out. It also doesn’t require a contrary nature to realize that whatever boost to the American psyche comes from this one man’s death will eventually be swamped by the deaths of our soldiers and their civilians as these military actions continue. My lack of celebratory attitude has nothing to do with not wanting to be a sheep and everything to do with the lasting consequences. So please spare me the thinly-veiled “You just hate America and everything it does” bullshit. Nobody’s called America “the demon of the world, ready to devour its soul”, all we’re saying is that America has fucked up in the past, continues to fuck up in the present and the worst part is that it REFUSES to acknowledge that it is even capable of fucking up at all. So enjoy your happy pills. The rest of us in the real world will be busy dealing with the results of your complicity in allowing America to continue to think itself incapable of making serious mistakes.

• dttri says:

I think this emotional response from many Americans, the cheering and celebrating, steams from their perception of “an evil man” being killed. The problem with that is, your are bringing morals into what is basically a corrupt structure: a circle of retribution, where, really, the US government isn’t “better” than Al Qaeda.
      As you point out, the CIA meddled in the politics of Middle East (and countries in Africa and Latin America). This to an extent that can be considered as immoral and, in the context of non-US law, illegal, as the attack on the Twin Towers.
      In the end, all Americans with voting rights and most of us in the western world are responsible for the actions of our elected officials. Please, let’s change the course of our actions. Stop killing people, “evil” or not.

Who you callin’ scruffy-looking?

55. Ipo says:

I’m somewhat amused.

56. Endo says:

I bet this poor guy would be a lot happier if he just had some bacon and a beer.

57. JorgeBurgos says:

The whole thing just seems childish, sad and primitive to me.

This will only lead to more violence.

• PlaneShaper says:

The only thing that leads to more violence is the choice to be violent. Should people feel guilty celebrating this because it may lead to more danger? If we get attacked again, did we have it coming because we were out celebrating? Should we not wear these clothes again?

I trust that our SEALs provided Bin Laden the opportunity to surrender and peaceably answer for his crimes, because I know how different it is between a raid on the ground and missile strikes from afar. It was an offer violently refused, and a refusal not unexpected. In the face of this, we treated his body with dignity, and the respect and ceremony his own tradition calls for. This is the professionalism I expect from our Special Operations Forces. And I believe President Obama has the strength of character to ensure such ideal wherever possible.

As for the celebration…while I do not believe it is right to celebrate the death of any human, especially when that life is taken by another human, I can’t help but rejoice the opportunity for the world to choose a more peaceful path going forward. I’ll not begrudge or condemn any American for being overwhelmed with emotion and the need to express their relief for a night.

We are not celebrating the deaths of thousands of their innocent citizens here, even if it isn’t the same when the roles are reversed. No, in America, you can count on justifiable protests as our demonstrations when our actions result in any innocent casualties. We are celebrating the fact that a man who voiced so much violence and hate is no longer able to do so. It is unfortunate that even his life has been added to the tally of the dead over this. But it is not unfortunate that he can no longer spread his message. And I would vastly prefer this outcome to one where we simply didn’t seek him out in the pursuit of justice for so many lost innocents just to save his life.

so can we focus back on guantanamo?