Batman drawing sells for $448,125

40 Responses to “Batman drawing sells for $448,125”

1. Elrohir says:

I don’t get this image at all. It’s just so weird and boring.

It’s unfinished and has very little detail. And as a picture, it makes no sense.

I mean, Batman and Robin are oddly hovering over a city in a very odd position. They seem to be jumping over a gap of some sort, which is not in the picture.

It just looks more like a drawing exercise than anything else, as if Miller wanted to try drawing this specific pose, then stuck a city in the background to remove some emptiness.

deviantart is full of stuff that is way more interesting than this.

2. EeyoreX says:

Three reasons why this is such a valuble item to somebody:

1. It’s from the days when Miller drew Batman comics. DC is reluctant to let him play with their toys ever since he fell off the far right edge with “Batman: Holy Terror”.

2. It’s from the days back when Miller illustrated his own stuff. These days he lets Lynn Varley or Jim Lee do all the heavy lifting.

3. It’s from the days before Miller whent full whingnut, back when he still actually told stories rather than convoluted tracts.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is on the same prize list as a work by a “Dead Master”. There is a finite and limited supply.

• Zoman says:

4. Because gold and silver are heavy, and showing off a pile of bullion is considered vulgar.

… did I miss anything?

• Metostopholes says:

I think you mean “Holy Terror, Batman!”, the comic he was writing about Batman beating up Osama Bin Laden.

“Batman: Holy Terror” was an Elseworlds comic set in the US as a theocracy (which Miller was not involved with).

/pedantic nerd mode

3. donopolis says:

“the greatest image from the decade of the 1980s ever to come to market”

That phrase seems a bit too much hyperbole. while it is an awesome piece of art…I don’t think it earns that title.

4. irksome says:

Give me an original Little Nemo or Krazy Kat over this any day.

5. bazzargh says:

The single most memorable image from the entire comic book series? So, not the cover with the lightning strike?

6. techsoldaten says:

NUCKING FUTZ.

I have wealthy friends who keep collections of comics and memorabilia and spend more on it annually than I make in 3 years time. Even they are laughing about this, way too overvalued.

7. Halloween Jack says:

Yeah… while there were a number of splash pages from The Dark Knight Returns that were arguably instantly iconic, that looks like the kind of thing that Miller could have dashed off at a convention, if he did that sort of thing. I’m betting that the buyer is someone who came of age during the 80s, made a bunch of money in the meantime from dot coms or something, and let the bidding get away from them, in the manner of comic artist and action-figure magnate Todd McFarlane paying $3 million for Mark McGwire’s record-setting home run ball–it’s worth a fraction of that now, at best, thanks to Barry Bonds.

8. Lobster says:

Why is Lady Robin wearing goggles and why does she have a slingshot?

• Agies says:

RTFB.

• Halloween Jack says:

She’s a teenager whose life was saved by the Batman, and in turn saved his life after she made up her own costume, which happens to include the goggles (instead of a mask) and slingshot (her weapon of choice).

9. jakea says:

The thrill of this image and what Frank Miller’s comics (and Dark Knight in particular) represented to me as a teenage comics fan is still palpable. A rush of pure nostalgic excitement in my chest. Fantastic to see that someone paid so much for it – it plants a flag in history and somehow validates my wide-eyed wonder of 25 years ago.

The buyer is anonymous? Did they use one of the stolen PlayStationNetwork credit cards to pay?

11. Marshall says:

We can all argue about what is the “most iconic” splash page from Dark Night, or how overvalued this is, but I think it’s great that a comic that’s not simply old and familiar or “FIRST!” but an overtly political and social commentary is at the top of the market. Can we get our Aranofsky Dark Knight Returns film now, please?

waitasecond — you mean to tell me that THIS sold for more than a FRAZETTA? oh ye gods, my faith in the world is slipping.

13. Gutierrez says:

It’s worth what they paid for it, if not more. At least from the standpoint of the insurance policy I’m sure will get placed on it.

Now we know what Anon used all those CC numbers from Sony for….

the singlemost overrated “artist” possibly in all of comicdom, whose overruse of ink can only begin to try to mask his excruciatingly tenuous-at-best grasp of human anatomy…

SURPASSING A FUCKING FRAZETTA.

robin looks like she has down’s syndrome, for fuck’s sake. while this is probably among the “better” things miller has drawn, compare it to this (the frazetta in question):

Damnit: I was willing to go up to $448,124, BUT NO FURTHER.

17. Brainspore says:

What anonymous donor would have the resources to spend that kind of cash on a comic book, and what are they trying to hide by taking it out of circulation? Could it be… AN ECCENTRIC BILLIONAIRE DESPERATE TO CONCEAL HIS SECRET IDENTITY?

18. GreenJello says:

Gotta echo Miller’s comment “I hope it finds a good home”, and doesn’t end up in a vault somewhere where nobody can appreciate it….

19. phosphorious says:

That Batman. . . he don’t shiv.

20. sean says:

Frank Miller makes some of the ugliest “art” around.So now the buyer isn’t just an idiot with too much spare money; he’s an idiot with the most overvalued piece of s**t EVER.

21. ScottMcG says:

I wonder if it’s going to end up hanging in a kid’s bedroom? Somebody call Samuel L Jackson…

Anonymous strikes again!

23. Shart Tsung says:

Great piece of art, waaaaaay overvalued. I’m guessing whoever paid that much for it is a noob and just got caught up in the moment. HAHAHA Who pays that much for a sketch?

• Anonymous says:

HAHAHA Who pays that much for a sketch?

I’m guessing some bankster used your money, friend.

Pretty funny, isn’t it?

24. Bubba says:

And folks say anonymous never does anything positive, good luck getting the visa charge through. Also that is a kick ass image from one of the greatest comics ever. Fuck the begrudgers. If Traci Amin can make mint for a dishevelled bed this deserves immortality.

I can understand Frazetta artwork taking in so much money but not Miller.

26. silus says:

And it’s not even the “rain on my chest is a baptism” page…

27. hobomike says:

The buyers are Frank Miller and Klaus Janson. he he.

28. LMA says:

I think it safe to say that whatever anonymous collector paid nearly a half million dollars for this mid-’80s Batman drawing is not only a virgin, not only has never touched a girl, but even his own *mother* refused to hug him as a child. It’s the only explanation that makes sense.

• spriggan says:

Nah. You got it backwards. A nerd would shout and cheer and let everyone know THEY bought it for nearly HALF A MILLION DOLLARS. Since the buyer wished to remain anonymous it was probably a football player or some other such person with tons of disposable income who didn’t want this attached to their rep.