Bob Jaroc's Black Moth Super Rainbow video using busted B/W teevees

14 Responses to “Bob Jaroc's Black Moth Super Rainbow video using busted B/W teevees”

1. wigg1es says:

I’m also retarded. Nevermind…

2. angrydroid says:

Yeah this technique is as old as hippies and is known as Wobblevision. i was never able to get results as cool as this, though. Here’s a link for people interested. It’s much easier than you might think, though be careful and don’t make yourself extra-crispy by touching a large capacitor or something like that. http://petemoss.org/bending/wobble.html

How to safely discharge a cathode ray tube:

Unplug the TV. Find a screwdriver with an insulated rubber handle. Wrap a wire around the screwdriver, and attach the other end to a grounded object. Grounded objects include the screw on a lightswitch, the middle, round prong on a north american power outlet, or sticking a metal pole into the actual ground outside. Now, insert the screwdriver under the rubber “suction cup” anode. You should hear a loud spark. The tube is now discharged, and you can safely touch it until it’s plugged in again.

4. Godfree says:

Sweet! That seems like the TV equivalent of painting on film stock with bleach.

5. silly bobs says:

@angrydroid

indeed, not hard, but death is waiting in the wings for those who take the back of a tv off lightly. There is enough juce in a tv thats been off for ages to send a fiddler right across a room, dead.

So please understand what your doing and the risks your taking, be carefull.

On a lighter note, i first came across the wobblevision bend hooked up to a dudes amp playing hawkwind-hurry on sundown an age ago. Twas a very spacey pad with that thing twiching in the corner to dave brocks wibbles.

6. nixiebunny says:

I assume that only the basic squiggles were made by the TV sets; the rotationally-combined effects would be way too much work to assemble in analog.

I once designed a device to display time on a CRT using Lissajous patterns, but it strove for a “good” display ethic.

7. dia sobin says:

Yo, David – dig the musical soundtrack, but I’m missing Freaky Friday! :-(

8. UnnecessaryUmlaut says:

If they just gave these TVs a good bonk on the side I’m sure they’d be good as new. Always worked for mine.
    Stoked to hear more from these guys.

9. von Bobo says:

Yay! new BMSR!

10. joe blough says:

hey if you want more BMSR-type stuff… tobacco has 2 solo albums too. latest is maniac meat, and of course F’d up friends from a couple of years ago.

11. Jim Dandy says:

WAY back before the Internet, I’d heard you could mod a TV to act like an oscilloscope, but I never found out how. I eventually bought a very cheap used one from a friend.

I’m surprised the mod is this simple (albeit potentially very dangerous).

One or two of the patterns are relatively easy to produce on an oscilloscope or a program that emulates one, but I have no idea about the rest.

A very cool retro display.

12. jackdavinci says:

Which makes me wonder why a simple swap of the video and one of the audio cables on modern tvs doesn’t do anything interesting.