Videos of cirrate octopuses filmed swimming in the deep ocean and set to classical ballet music seem well on their way to becoming a YouTube genre. And I am 100% OK with that. Last time, we got up close with a beautiful orangey octopus, who looked as though she were wearing some kind of Stevie Nicks dress.
In this video, produced by the University of Washington, we dive into waters 200 miles off the Oregon coast and find a ghostly white octopus frolicking near a hydrothermal vent.
This particular species of cirrate, called Grimpoteuthis bathynectes, is often called "the Dumbo octopus." Fast-forward to about 1:40 to see why.
Via The Guardian
- Weird, adorable Cirrate octopus swims through the ocean
- Octopus jealously guards his Mr Potato Head toy
- Octopus pretending to be seaweed
- Clever octopus tentacles stuffed with neurons
- Octopuses? Octopi? Octopodes?
- Everybody loves cephalopods - Boing Boing
- An octopus who lives in a beer bottle
- Video: Octopus kills shark