Lebanese '90s television emulator: telfezion.com

6 Responses to “Lebanese '90s television emulator: telfezion.com”

1. PaulR says:

Nadim: get a free-to-air satellite dish. It’s crawling with stuff like this. It’s all I can get in New-Brunswick.

That and christian evangelical broadcasts.

And the NASA channel. At least, that one is in HD.

2. caipirina says:

So, it is an interesting archive .. not some fun thingamagic to throw your own video in and suddenly it is all Lebanese … (NOT Lesbian)

ah, I was really hoping it was some kind of thing that played Youtube videos with a blur and muddied colors.

4. Kentrip says:

Man, how times have changed…listening to Tribute FM radio on my iPhone…I think they are about to go live from Benghazi. I dig the music and I just find it really inspiring. Check it out if you get a chance…really cool. http://tributefm.com/player.php

As a fellow Lebanese who grew up during the latter parts of the war, I most heartily approve! I don’t know what I’m in awe of more, that the artist was able to find most of these clips or that the sorting algorithm he used is virtually spot on in recreating the haphazard charm of wartime, C-rated TV*.

*For added realism, the artist should only make the clips available for 3-4 hours a day, which is about how much electricity the average Lebanese got each day during the war, if they were lucky. Even in this day and age, during the summer months when the tourists are bustling around Beirut and using more wattage, electricity is still rationed, and very expensive.

• Anonymous says:

I lived in northern Israel for 9 months in 1985, and I remember the Lebanese after-school cartoons being particularly bizarre.

The one that stands out for me was a bible cartoon called “Superbook” that apparently had some kind of editorial stance against saying the word “bible,” since “superbook” was used as an actual noun instead.

Oh yeah, and the premise was that a bible fell off some kid’s shelf and hit the computer, so him and his friends were sucked in Tron-style to a world of computerized bible stories.