Happy Birthday, David Byrne!

20 Responses to “Happy Birthday, David Byrne!”

1. AdrenalineSleep says:

Ha! Happy Belated to David Byrne :-)

I had an interesting interaction (or non interaction) with him at a Nine Inch Nails show in 2005 (apparently the day after his birthday). I finagled my way into a VIP area and there was only one other person there. I sat next to him, and we exchanged pleasantries and random small talk but I had to play it off as though I really belonged there so I didn’t pay him any mind. A couple months later my friend tells me that David Byrne wrote about me in his journal. I checked the journal and his parting thought about the show was his impression of me. It was about the coolest write up I’ve ever gotten and I gotta say he had me totally had me pegged.

David Byrne’s Journal: 5.15.05: Nine Inch Nails

Does
    art
    very
    intensely
    discographically

Becomes
    you
    reflecting
    never
    ending

“there is water at the bottom of the ocean”… Love it- I STILL love it!

4. Benjamin Miner says:

I’m with Irksome and Stephan – Knee Plays and Catherine Wheel are among my favorites (and Bush Of Ghosts, of course), and A Million Miles is one of his most signature anthems ever. I’m so glad to occupy space-time that overlaps his, the man has just brought so much creativity and insight into the world. How I would like to have him come over for dinner…

5. Jake0748 says:

David Byrne and his cohorts have been a joy and inspiration to me since Talking Head 77. I can’t imagine what life would have been like without that music.

This aint no disco.

Happy Birthday, David Byrne. You , along with Tina Weymouth, are one of my favorite doids. Tailwinds!!!!

7. lego7 says:

Perhaps for a birthday present to himself, he could apply for U.S. citizenship, and start participating in the American political process instead of whining about it.

Happy Birthday, anyway.

8. irksome says:

Two obscure works to hear, the soundtracks to The Knee Plays and to Twyla Tharp’s Catherine Wheel.

9. branko says:

Could anyone tell me if David Byrne owns a bike?

10. Stefan Jones says:

When I saw the headline I drilled down into my MP3 collection and started playing A Million Miles.

@Irksome: Yeah, the Music for the Knee Plays is awesome stuff. I literally wore out my audio cassette copy.

In ’99 I made a mix disk that used a few of the pieces. While reviewing the tracks I’d picked out, I had one of those wonderful cognitive dissonance moments: The song “Theodora is Dozing” is based on the “Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices” track “Polegnala E Todora”.

• irksome says:

Anecdote 1: I saw The Bulgarian State Radio and Television Women’s Choir at Somerville (MA) Theater back when their albums (yes, albums… I sympathize with Mr Crummett @ #7) came out; we were a particularly blue-collar crowd. They had played at Lincoln Center the night before and seemed a bit taken aback by our rather boisterous response; lots of foot-stomping and cheering. They giggled a lot. It was like hearing angels sing.

Anecdote 2: My Bosnian girlfriend tells me she decided she loved me when I played said albums for her. Many of the songs are the ones she grew up with and which they played and sang during the war. Once in a while, I do life just right.

11. Stefan Jones says:

Woot! Site about the Knee Plays, with a page about the album with some online tracks:

In the future, everybody but the wealthy will be very healthy.
    In the future, everybody but the wealthy will be very filthy.

12. Tone says:

When we discover the fountain of youth, this guy should be given the first drink. We need David Byrne for another 59 years.

Best Wishes to David! Here’s a fun clip –

I saw him do this live at The 9:30 Club in DC – best show ever.

14. braininavat says:

59th! once in a life time.

15. Mark Crummett says:

He’s 59? That makes me…oh my God, I’m OLD!

16. jere7my says:

To celebrate David Byrne’s birthday, I am bicycling to the Institute of Contemporary Art to watch an experimental theater piece.

(I was going to do that even before I knew it was his birthday, but it seems appropriate.)

17. Ipo says: