Mondo Vanilli: RU Sirius's 1993 album for Trent Reznor's label

26 Responses to “Mondo Vanilli: RU Sirius's 1993 album for Trent Reznor's label”

1. c0nn0r says:

I as a big fan of R.U. Serious’ and St. Jude Milhon’s book “How to Mutate and Take Over the World” which my Dad bought for me as a teen along with Plastikman’s “Sheet One”… Come to think of it, Dad also bought the “Whacked Mac Archives” for me as a kid….

He can’t complain when I’m arrested for hacking or civil disobedience. His fault!

;-)

What about uploading it to

3. turn_self_off says:

Interesting cover, if only for the person up front.

4. Ian M says:

Anyone who samples Can is cool by me. Sadly, most industrial pop I listened to in my teenage years sounds pretty dated today.

soo, was the cover done by Bart Nagel?
    he is also a wonderful thing.

R.U. Sirius for President

6. StRevAlex says:

As a young ‘Mondo 2000′/RU Sirius fan, who came to love all things Mondo in 2001 long after they were gone, I have to say that this is just awesome. It makes me happy in a way I haven’t felt since mid-adolescence. The Nineties were a better time.

It’s worth pointing out that “IOU Babe” is not available for free, but for $5.

8. dr. ultimately says:

LOVE.

@Anon, it was free earlier. They just recently must have started charging based on all the sudden interest.

10. David Pescovitz says:

OK, at RU’s request (and thanks to Link C), the whole shebang is now on Soundcloud, Pirate Bay, and also the Internet Archive. Free MV for all eternity! Baby, take off your pants! Baby, take off your underpants! Thanx!

Hi,

Im Link C, and Ive been assisting Mondo Vanilli with this release…Bandcamp only provides 200 downloads for free, after that we have to purchase more download credits or the system charges listeners for the download…Im just waiting to hear back from RU on how to proceed with this, we were not expecting such an overwhelming response…Many folks have already purchased the album, and we thank you so much for the support! Were working on getting it free again, hopefully within the next couple of hours! Until then, please enjoy the record…

12. DaveP says:

now this is what i come to boingboing for–very interesting, thanks

13. Rob Myers says:

Woohoo!

I emailed RU and asked if this was available anywhere about a month ago.

So glad it’s online again, and finally getting a CD release.

Anon – Even the internet archive doesn’t have Skippy DuChamp’s old download site for the album. Yeah I’m part of the sudden interest. The system works. ;-)

14. cowtown says:

Is it bad that I completely lost interest in this story once I realized that RU Sirius is not Yahoo Serious?

15. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

Sweet. Downloading this to listen at work right now. I’m intrigued.

16. Rob Myers says:

Link C – Dude, take my money. Please.

17. grimc says:

IIRC, Milli Vanilli wasn’t busted just because they were lip-syncing at live performances, it was because they were complete fakes.

• CursedDiamonds says:

@grimc Both, really. They were exposed when a vocal track went bad during a live performance, and started to skip, and the video of it became public. From there, it was just a short time until the real singers started coming out and taking credit. (I think.)

• Anonymous says:

That’s how I remember it, too!
        Then the producer (who had really caused the whole farce by hiring two pretty dances to front for the band) kicked out the front men and rebooted the act as “The Real Milli Vanilli”…

18. P-Dub says:

http://www.jamendo.com hosts free music downloads. There is no limit I know of, you can ask for a donation at download time.

19. Quiet Wyatt says:

I, too, saw an R.U. Sirius performance in San Francisco in 1993. It was in a gallery on Divisadero near the Lower Haight, IIRC; I know I walked to it from my nasty little heat-free apartment across the street from Noc Noc. It was my first week in San Francisco.

I don’t know if it was a Mondo Vanilli performance, since Sirius was the only name/face I recognized, but it was a trio of him, another man, and a woman, so chances are good.

Here is where our “concert” experiences diverge wildly. I think the second guy was singing, or yelling, or something, but it’s a blur compared to what I vividly remember: R.U. Sirius sitting in a crib, clad only in a diaper, smearing chocolate “poop” all over himself and crying for his mama. “Mama,” meanwhile, had removed her pants and was plucking hardboiled eggs out of an Easter basket, inserting them into her vagina, and then “laying” them on a plate outside the crib.

I witnessed this in silent awe, standing no more than 5 feet away from the players in this narrow little shotgun-apartment gallery with maybe 15 other young confused hipsters, for 20 or 30 minutes. When things looked like they were about to take a turn towards “audience participation,” however, I quietly but willfully made a beeline for the exit.

It HAD to have been a prank performance, a spoof on the grand folly of bad performance art, because otherwise, if it was sincere, it was the wankiest pile of poo I’ve ever witnessed. But at least it gave me a great “And that’s when I realized I was truly in San Francisco” story.

20. bat21 says:

Trent Reznor did something similar to Jane’s Addiction a few years ago. He’s your best friend until you do something he doesn’t like or he gets bored.

Looks like theres already a seed up on the Pirate Bay…thats one way to get the album..I just searched ‘Mondo Vanilli’, came right up

22. querent says: