Studio Ghibli Minecraft world

21 Responses to “Studio Ghibli Minecraft world”

My kids absolutely love Miyazaki, and they love playing minecraft.

Showing them this video about made their heads explode. “That’s Totoro!!! That’s Spirited Away!!!”

As soon as the video was over they immediately began begging to play Minecraft on our laptops. I happily obliged.

2. vealchart says:

!!! win !!!

3. Rich Keller says:

Seeing things built in Minecraft always reminds me of things done in Lego, jaggy, chunky and cute.

4. Strabo says:

Oh my god, this is made of pure win. I’m in love.

I can’t imagine how much time it took to put this together. Must be hundreds of man-hours in there.

Couldn’t be bothered w/ the silly lego nonsense, but Jo Hisaishi’s music was sublime. If you think it’s the Minecraft that’s plucking at your heartstrings, try it without sound.

• MonsterMan says:

And if you think Jo Hisaishi’s music is the only magic here, turn off the music, download the map and step inside for yourself. Then tell us if you really think this is about the music at all. Don’t delude yourself like that, man.

6. Lobster says:

Great. Now Minecraft makes me miss my long lost sense of child-like wonder.

• Strabo says:

You can get that back just like I will later this week. By setting up a home inside Howl’s Castle, Yubaba’s bath house, or your favorite location from Miyazaki’s films!

Saw: Laputa, Castle in the Sky; Howl’s Moving Castle; My neighbor Totoro (at the beginning I think); Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi; and Porco Rosso =D
    Have you seen anything else?

Won’t we likely know it instead from Spirited Away, or Nausicaa, or Princess Mononoke?

9. NoctilucentStudios says:

I just do not get the appeal of Minecraft. Seems like you can do the same thing, only with much,much better graphics in SL or BlueMars.

10. CygnusXII says:

Go pull the world files down. Create a new world save, and then unzip the 7Mb file into that folder and then load the world up in MC. It is Fantastic. A real amount of work went into it, for sure. There are small cubby bedrooms, all over the place to hide out in, and plenty of places to call home. The gang that created this sure did a nice job. There are cart stations every where, and it is well documented with signage, on the cart destinations. I liken it as to exploring ghost towns in the old west. Kinda like an urban explorer to another world.

11. pendletone says:

Wow! That world is made of pure Ghiblian awesomeness! I swear I could see Calcifer lurking somewhere inside it.

12. KimmyBZ says:

They left out the Valley of The Wind. :(

13. vert says:

Reason #4,765,891,003 why I know my daughter is the most awesome kid, ever: I watched this while she was doing homework and she goes, “Are you watching Totoro? Without me?”

14. Paul Turnbull says:

Not a Minecraft player but my sister is and now I think I need to show it to my eight year olds. They’ve watched and we own all the Ghibli movies, they love them.

Personally I was excited when I saw Porco Rosso’s plane. :)