Locke & Key: creepy and excellent graphic novel

15 Responses to “Locke & Key: creepy and excellent graphic novel”

Here’s the writer Joe Hill, age 10, in Creepshow, written by his dad:

Sadly, the pilot was passed on due to concerns about “marketability”. But the book is awesome.

3. edgore says:

Alas, it was announced just a few days ago that Fox has passed on the pilot. It’s possible that it might get picked up elsewhere, though unlikely.

Who wrote The Iron Heel?
    Where is Joe Hill buried?

5. Cris Spo says:

Oh my goodness!! I am SO glad you’re posting this: I’ve been a fan of L&K nearly since it came out. I always recommend this series to people. As you’ve said, it’s so well-written, the art is fantastic, and it’s just dark enough without being too much (for me, at least, and in my opinion). Wonderful, wonderful books, I hope readers enjoy them.

6. dark victoria says:

hey Mark, on a side note, i think you were the one who posted about a debut-comic in the last couple of months that had beautiful artwork about a gamer going in-universe and Moebius/ Jean Giraud stole his review copy and subsequently gave a thumbs up to. i read the preview link and it’s haunted me since but i wasn’t smart enough to write down the title and can’t find it even after seriously excavating the Boing Boing Archive. i’d love to get my hands on the real thing but can’t for the life of me remember the title.

It’s an amazing series. The Subterranean Press trade hardcovers are a great way to get into the series–they include Joe Hill’s screenplays.

I hope some network picks this up.

8. artofmulata says:

That comic is named Nonplayer.

9. Chevan says:

I am in no way exaggerating when I say that Locke and Key is one of, if not the, best comic series being published right now. I cannot say enough good things about it.

10. facetedjewel says:

@Anon #3

‘The Iron Heel’ was written be Jack London.

Joe Hill (Joel Emmanual Hagglund) was cremated in Chicago. Portions of those ashes were sent to every IWW local in every state except Utah, where he was executed by firing squad for a murder he probably didn’t commit, on November 19, 1915. (Wiki)

Rather than Locke and Key, I was rather hoping to see a good remake of the life and work of Joe Hill. It would make a good movie. Alexander Skarsgard (or Gustaf) could play Joe.

I thought ‘Horns’ was the best book from Joe Hill to date. It would also make a terrific movie.

‘I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night,alive as you and me.
    But Joe, I said, you’re ten years dead. I never died, said he,
    I never died, said he.’

One of my earliest music memories is of Joan Baez singing those lyrics.

• Anonymous says:

Gustaf, by far–he’s a tremendous actor, and has played leads in wildly diverse movies. This would be right up his alley.

Thanks faceted but I was just being esoteric. Sorry! Old IWW or Wobblies thing. You’d be asked those questions to determine if you were one of them. For the record, the answer is that Joe Hill is buried “all over the world, though you touched on why that is.

Joe Hill’s short story collection 20th Century Ghosts is excellent, as well.