Virgin Galactic's "feathered flight" as a David Ope animated GIF

14 Responses to “Virgin Galactic's "feathered flight" as a David Ope animated GIF”

1. AirPillo says:

Is that a skid instead of a wheel under the nose?

It sure looks like a skid, but maybe that’s just me.

2. MarkM says:

When I see this spacecraft, I’m never sure if it’s reality or a model from Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds

3. edthehippie says:

burt rutan , retired , ( and hopefully enjoying it !! ) , is still one of my very few heroes !!

4. Kimmo says:

Wow, I didn’t know it was meant to do that… that feathering move is pretty cool.

Still, I’m not sure how this proves they “have a re-entry vehicle”… unless I’m mistaken, that wasn’t footage of an actual re-entry to the atmosphere.

Wouldn’t orbital velocity be a lot higher? But then I guess there’s a great deal less air where re-entry occurs; I suppose those two factors are meant to cancel out?

• Michael Smith says:

Re-entry means to re-enter something. It doesn’t require that you go into orbit in the mean time. Having said that I would prefer to do my aerobraking in an Apollo command module.

5. dross1260 says:

Is that Deer Valley airport?

6. dross1260 says:

*derp. Mojave. Sorry

7. Godfree says:

Jaw
    Floor.

That’s the most beautiful, inspiring thing I’ve seen in a long time.

8. hallpass says:

Very impressive. I’m thrilled by the fact that going into space is no longer a strictly irrational economic decision funded by governments just to prove that we can do it. Rather, we’re doing it because there may be some profit to be made, even if it is by providing joyrides for billionaires.
    Also amazing is that they’re doing it with the minimum technology necessary to do it safely. I realize this is little more than a civilian redux of the U.S. Air Force X-15 program, but the fact that they’re using piston-engine aircraft as chase planes rather than F-104 interceptor fighters says a lot about the mindset behind the Virgin Galactic program. It’s almost what you’d imagine if New Zealand or some other bootstrapping small country decided it needed a national space program.
    With time, Richard Branson, Scaled Composites and whoever has an economically justifiable reason to put people in orbit will achieve that too.

9. labrown says:

Kimmo, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipOne for information on how Space Ship One made the first private manned suborbital space flight using the same feathering technology for reentry to the atmosphere.

10. dculberson says:

The “feathering” part of the video was pretty damn dramatic. That is an amazing vehicle. All hail Rutan!

11. wphurley says:

As a rudderless youth, I spent 4 years in the USAF as a “crew chief” on first F-16s then F-15 fighters. I was mesmerized by the capabilities of those machines and was fortunate enough to befriend a few pilots who were willing to discuss fighter tech with a mere enlistee. I have clear and fond memories of the pilots going “gaga” over Rutan’s first stall-free design be proven in the high desert. They way they were carrying on and twisting their hands and arms to demonstrate maneuvers looked like a fusion of “gang-signs” and classical Khmer dancing.

Rutan’s ability to consistently bring them most creative and abstract principles of aerodynamics into flawlessly performing physical forms is a rare ability we’re fortunate to witness (and have witnessed) unfold.

12. mraverage says:

That’s another giant leap for mankind.

There is a God (forget May 21st) and he has some killer sideburns. All hail the name Rutan.