France lobbies G8 for Internet control and censorship

12 Responses to “France lobbies G8 for Internet control and censorship”

1. druse says:

Sarkozy’s French government

Does he have another, than a French one?

2. pentomino says:

So shall we enact our usual strategy, where waves upon waves of peaceful protesters show up to the location of the summit, only to be not allowed within blocks of it, and then to be arrested and brutalized anyway, with practically no media coverage?

3. druse says:

Sorry to bitch about this, but I was just wondering what it was meant to signify. if anything…..

4. guillaume_remy says:

In France, there was a very interesting blog made by the french linguist Jean Veronis. He wrote a book about Nicolas speeches. In 2007, with statistical methods he determined how many speeches were written by his Ghostwriter Henri Guaino. He made recently a database with the speeches of all french politicians. You can see the opinions of Nicolas Sarkozy about the Internet. There is an idea quite “bizarre” that emerged during his last speeches : the idea of a “civilized” internet (Internet civilisé). I Learned by an article from “Le Monde” that the RIAA love that idea.

5. pKp says:

druse : I guess it was meant for people who don’t know who Sarkozy is. Although the “France” part of the headline might have been enough to clue them in.

*sigh* not a very good week for my country, all in all. First the most popular candidate of the Left (well, left-ish) gets arrested for rape, and now this. I promise, we’re not all assholes !

(although most of our politicians are. But I guess that’s more or less the same everywhere).

• druse says:

Don’t worry, I don’t think you’re all assholes ;-) BTW, I’m Dutch, and the current political climate here doesn’t make me a xenophobic booger.

@Anon: True dat.

6. phisrow says:

Sarkozy seems to be doing his best to combine the delightsome fun of corporate oligarchy with the fine French traditions of the Lettre de cachet and Imprimatur.

An act of government piracy!

8. Gilbert Wham says:

Is it not time for them to try & boot the little shit out of office yet?

It’s that damn cheesy pop singer wife of his that’s behind this, isn’t it?