Homes for sale with bomb shelters / zombie apocalypse bunkers

23 Responses to “Homes for sale with bomb shelters / zombie apocalypse bunkers”

1. dainel says:

Why is the entrance not inside your own house? When you step outside to open the bunker doors, the zombies will get you.

• JamesMason says:

The entrance to the tornado shelter is outside so that you don’t get buried under the remains of your house when the tornado passes and are unable to get out.

2. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

By-the-by, a couple of those don’t list bomb shelters or show pictures of them. Perhaps that info is now removed?

3. travtastic says:

I’m not exactly a trained professional here, but I can tell you that in any kind of survival situation, you’re going to find me on the move, not hanging out in my fancy concrete grave that I pre-purchased.

4. Pronetowander says:

Back in Oklahoma, we call these tornado shelters. But it’s really just a front. Zombies and bombs are the real threat in small rural towns.

5. Drowse says:

I’m thinking in Abilene, TX your biggest threat is a tornado. This makes sense.

• TSE says:

“I’m thinking in Abilene, TX your biggest threat is a tornado. This makes sense.”

Abilene is home to Dyess AFB, one of the largest SAC bases in operation. During the cold war, Dyess was very high on the list of targets for Soviet warheads.

Tornados rarely touch Abilene because of the surrounding hills.

But are they rapture-proof?

7. pjcamp says:

Sorry, hiding in a hole in the ground is not on the CDC’s zombie apocalypse guidelines.

8. j9c says:

Meh. I suppose. If you’re on a budget… but if you’re not, and you need to ride out the End Times with some elbow room, go for something nicer:

9. billstewart says:

I remember the days when terrorism wasn’t just wimpy guys with car bombs or hijacked airplanes, it was superpowers with nuclear weapons threatening to wipe out the world N times over. Oh, wait, they haven’t stopped yet, though my neighbors are no longer digging bomb shelters in their back yards.

Back when I lived in New Jersey, once house I looked at buying had a bomb shelter. It was more of a might-as-well addition than actual paranoia; the house was built on a steep hillside overlooking a swamp, so it needed that fourth level of basement anyway as part of the foundation. From the street, the house just looked like a small ranch house, but down one level was a full-sized story with a big balcony overlooking the swamp, and then a smaller level below that, and the bomb shelter level (used as a wine cellar), and the bottom level which was open to the water. I guess the bomb shelter would be useful as a layer of defense against swamp monsters.

10. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

I am all about this. I wish my house (which was built in the 50s) had a sub-basement for nuclear fallout. But alas, no such thing. I shall perish in the apocalypse.

11. Don says:

Good for storing root vegetables, perhaps. But I’m not going to last long in there against my fellow humans (or former humans) if they have tools, because the hinge pins are on the outside. Pull the pins, pull the door off the hinges, braaaaains.

Over here in Israel all newer built buildings are required to have a bomb shelter/protective room built in. We just finished building a house and the reinforced room is just part of the house like any other room.

Sorry to say, this whole zombie bs is just that. Try hanging around when sh’t starts falling from the sky.

I wish I had one. They call them tornado shelters here in Oklahoma.

14. the Other michael says:

I really don’t know if a viewless exit is the best idea for the zombie apocalypse. Too easy to get ambushed.

• bob d says:

Yes, absolutely. I’m constantly telling people, “Don’t try to protect yourselves from zombies by using a bunker, you’ll just find yourself trapped with the undead.” But will they listen?

• IronEdithKidd says:

Doesn’t the Zombie Survival Guide say high-tail it to the nearest SuperMax facility?

• the Other michael says:

SuperMax, maybe.

Underground SuperMax with above-ground observation possible only by exposing oneself to zombie hordes, no.

• PaulR says:

What you do is pour a concrete frame and mount the hinge-pin-on-the-outside door as bait for the zombie hordes. Meanwhile, you’re in ferro-concrete tree-house, with a few crates of exploding sniper bullets, and…

15. mauzzz says:

A sure way to die during a flood or tsunami.