Research paper on heroism published

15 Responses to “Research paper on heroism published”

1. codesuidae says:

This paper should be useful for ideas in my fictional writing, I’m looking forward to a deeper reading of it.

2. turn_self_off says:

poor video, should have lost the theatrics and let the images speak for themselves.

Still, the message delivered towards the end reinforces that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Much of what he says sounds like something straight out of Ayn Rand’s writings, except that he wants to focus on altruism while she put the focus on egotism.

Escher is Dutch not Swiss.

4. Gulliver says:

@ Anon #10

What does heroism necessarily have to do with “civic virtue”? Is there no capacity for heroism that doesn’t directly have to do with being a “citizen”? From the wording of that statement, it sounds very propagandist and state-based, as though personal heroism (which can take more forms than “sacrifice” as the “highest form of civic action”) is the purview of societal issues solely, with no room for personal heroism, by this definition. There seems to be bit of loaded language to this, the opening statement especially.

That’s some heroic reaching.

But it sets a good example. Let’s interpret words as narrowly as possible in the worst possible light so we can dismiss any thing the speaker actually has to say.

Sophistry much?

Just because asshats use a word for their own propaganda does not justify decrying everyone else everywhen else who ever uses it. When words become fashion, meaning goes out of style.

6. Tau'ma says:

sometimes comment threads seem like that teacher student shock experiment to me.

7. Tensegrity says:

Wasn’t this one of the supplemental essays in Watchmen?

8. Gulliver says:

“I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.” ~ John Donne [from Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions and Death’s Duel]

9. yclept says:

Looks like an heroic read.

10. Tau'ma says:

Everyday People (with lyrics) http://youtu.be/7viXASOEDNk

11. emmdeeaych says:

what is extension neglect?

I hope this thing comes with some sort of glossary so I don’t have to have an advanced degree or rely on the internet to make it through the synopsis.

Also, I do remember the pre-post from 2 years ago. Thank you for bringing it full circle!!

12. imag says:

Nice paper. I think I remember doing the survey. The results actually seem to jibe with what my intuition would say. Some of them look like they might be heavily influenced by the Boinger sample set.

Thank you for following up! I’m curious what you’re going to study next, or what new hypotheses you might have now about this topic…