Video comic about dark matter

14 Responses to “Video comic about dark matter”

1. jwepurchase says:

Great vid. thanks for posting.

Dark matter seems suspect to me and I wonder whether it’s not just another aether theory, and that someone will come up with another explanation that will spark the great theories for the 21st century, the way general relativity and quantum mechanics were for the 20th. Gravity isn’t constant after all?

2. Gulliver says:

Luddbot activating…

“Scientists are going to destroy the world! We’re doomed! Doooooooomed!!! Quick, stop science! Hide the elephant! Bury you’re head in the sand so the scary universe goes away!”

DARK MATTER
    – James Ph. Kotsybar

The universe is mostly abnormal,
    if we accept that physicists aren’t wrong
    and gravity remains uniformal,
    otherwise galaxies couldn’t last long.

They’d spin themselves apart, unless, unseen,
    missing mass resolves the disparity.
    Dark Matter is needed to intervene.
    Though not found, it can’t be a rarity.

“The clusters are like icebergs,” they patter.
    “Since Newton’s math holds true, it must be served.
    There’s five times as much as normal matter
    or else momentum’s poise can’t be conserved.”

Though they’ll claim science is observation,
    that’s often tweaked to fit the equation.

4. whisper dog says:

This video is too tall for my screen. I had to “F11″ by browser just to be able to see it all at once.

5. Adro says:

Great video, excellent medium for a freshman high school student like my brother!

Very cool video

7. slippy0 says:

One of my good friends is going to work with CERN on the LHC for grad school. She’s also a physics grad from MIT. We’re sending her on her way with a crowbar in hand.

But actually, we’re all incredibly jealous that she gets to be a part of something we all know is going to be very big.

8. Ocker3 says:

No talk about Dark Matter is complete without a mention of Amelia Fraser-McKelvie (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/aussie-student-amelia-fraser-mckelvie/story-fn3dxity-1226064320755). She found where all the dark matter went.

Stellar, right up until one of the guys starts eating while speaking. Three seconds of that cringe-inducing noise, and it was over for me.

10. Gulliver says:

I posted a comment here yesterday, but when I checked back to follow the discussions tonight it was gone. I just wanted to know if it was deleted for straying off topic, or something else. Thanks in advance to the mods for any reply.

11. Kimmo says:

This is a sweet method of presenting information… great to see it catching on : )

12. haypenny says:

That is fantastic. I want a print comic of it but I the animation feel is beautiful. <3 PhD Comics.

13. okkent says:

Hi Mark, is it jut you or is it your site in general. The last couple things you posted are getting posted 2 times. FYI.

interesting that at 1:30 he basically says

“f**king magnets, how do they work?”