TOM THE DANCING BUG: Lo, What Great Plans For Louis Maltby?

PREV • INDEXNEXT

1040cbCOMIC louis - great plans.jpg

19 Responses to “TOM THE DANCING BUG: Lo, What Great Plans For Louis Maltby?”

1. thatbob says:

Oh no! Percival Dunwoody, I hope you’re okay!

(And to all the haters: PBBTHBBT!)

2. egoVirus says:

I like that Louis is left handed.

3. Jorpho says:

We’re all still waiting one way or another, aren’t we?

Also, do we start ragging on akbar56 now?

It seemed to me like the old “study math and other practical matters instead of daydreaming and self-actualizing” thing.

5. durfsmurf says:

I like the Louis Maltby strips, they’re cute and relatable but not guffaw funny. And I agree that the older TtDBs were funnier, I feel that it’s mostly because he used more original themes and less politics. For me, his takes on pop culture and great spoofs of movies, ads, etc. were his funniest and most unique work.

Incipient schizophrenia is never funny.

7. jmzero says:

…in the hope that he’ll improve or just give up…. shouldn’t someone have said something to him by now?

Bolling – at his best – is really quite funny. I was excited when he came to BoingBoing; he’s made a lot of good material over the years and I thought this would be a great fit for him.

I went to find some evidence of his powers, but Salon (which used to have a huge archive) seems to have dropped all that content.. mostly. Some of the quite old/1995-ish stuff seems to be there, but I can’t find any of the classics I remember.

I will say, though, that trying to find some good old ones makes it really, abundantly clear how much (and for how long) he has re-used some jokes over the years.

Anyways, short version: he has done some very funny stuff, though I’d agree his recent comics haven’t been amazingly funny (to me).

• Jesse M. says:

You can find a lot of his old comics at gocomics.com, from 1998 on. And you can see all the comics in his “God-Man” series at the God-Man Fan Page. A lot of his humor is based on familiarity with various recurring characters, so it tends to be funnier if you’ve already read a lot, although I don’t think his run at boingboing has been his best work.

• togi says:

Ah I see. My only exposure to him has been on this site, so I’d assumed present form was representative.

Suppose it can’t be that easy making comic skits decade after decade…

What the cock? Where is Percival Dunwoody?

9. Laroquod says:

Coward!

10. mikerbaker says:

Yeah… this pretty much describes my study habits too. Those guys never showed up.

11. cubby96 says:

let me guess, the idiot time traveler post will magically appear above this comment, sometime later this afternoon…

12. BryE says:

How old is Louis anyway? My own study-time fantasies involved fewer paranormal entities and more (many more) mostly-nude girls…

That same guy with the robe appears in my cubicle all the time. Except that he tells me to shoot peop…. I mean waste time on the internet.

14. zyodei says:

I am writing as the legal counsel for Mr. Bill Waterson.

This cartoon represents a clear infringement of the Intellectual Property rights of our client.

We will be in touch shortly. Please prepare your checkbook, Mr. Dancing Bug.

• angusm says:

I am writing as the legal counsel for the estate of Mr. James Thurber.

This cartoon represents a clear infringement of the Intellectual Property rights of our client, specifically the short story entitled “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”.

We also intend to bring a class action suit on behalf of the planetary population of incorrigible day-dreamers of all ages and all sexes, whose aspirations, activities and way of life have been cruelly mocked in this ‘cartoon’, causing them to suffer irreparable harm and psychological injury.

We will be in touch shortly. Please prepare your checkbook, Mr. Dancing Bug.