Mladic in The Hague

11 Responses to “Mladic in The Hague”

1. Jasmina Tešanovic says:

Dear Anon
    I write what I know, as a serb from Belgrade I know our war criminals and our hell
    It s my moral duty to denounce it
    As a women in black i believe that everybody should deal FIRST with his own military and nationalists
    It s too easy to attack the Other
    I care for my country and my city to become decent and free of war criminals shopping with me at the same baker’s as if nothing happened
    I trust people in Bosnia should do the same with their own criminals living among them
    And i don’t want to equalize the blame although I know that crime has no ethnicity
    I am not in diplomacy I am literally writing my life and what i saw and heard, I only wish I could go back to my fiction fantasy writings and hopefully I soon will
    I don’t even feel as a serb or anything anymore, i live on the internet and share my ideas with everybody who cares, thank you for reading me and commenting

2. Jasmina Tešanovic says:

Thanks Johan
    I read the work of TGAsh
    he is one of the few who got it really, we insiders are tough to please, hahaha
    My Scorpions book IS IN ENGLISH, was published here on BB as i wrote it month by month
    then I translated it into serbian and it was also published in Italian and Spanish
    the link is in up in the text
    but here i go again

3. johan,karlskrona says:

Jasmina: Thank You for Your writing.
    This is important, for me as an European and as a human being on this planet.
    There needs to be justice for past crimes if we want to create a better world for tomorow.
    Please release Your book about these issues in English.

Btw, have You read Timothy Garton Ash? Any thoughts?
    His writings was an eyeopener for me about the tragedies in Your country and the former Yugoslavia as a whole.

4. mindysan33 says:

As always, thought provoking commentary on the situation in Serbia. Thanks, Jasmina! Keep up the good work.

I was reading this on Psychology Today, today:

“Here’s a little thought experiment. Imagine that, on September 11, 2001, when the Twin Towers came down, the President of the United States was not George W. Bush, but Ann Coulter. What would have happened then? On September 12, President Coulter would have ordered the US military forces to drop 35 nuclear bombs throughout the Middle East, killing all of our actual and potential enemy combatants, and their wives and children. On September 13, the war would have been over and won, without a single American life lost.

Yes, we need a woman in the White House, but not the one who’s running.”

– by Satoshi Kanazawa

Seems we have some of these people here… and writing for “respectable” pop-psychology magazines.

• ShawShaw says:

Satoshi Kanazawa is a douchecanoe. Psychology Today finally fired him after realizing the bigoted garbage he was writing for them made them look like a less than legit publication: http://www.colorofchange.org/press/releases/2011/6/39/?akid=2008.1438708.qiqlOe&rd=1&t=2

While he is a prime example of the kind of people who promote soul-wrenching activities like the massacre in Srebrenica, we can take at least a little comfort in knowing that he’s been called out for being the asstree he is. Thank heavens he no longer works for a major publication.

6. Tau'ma says:

Your writing is inspirational Jasmina Tešanovic.

7. ahmacrom says:

It’s interesting my father’s thoughts on this, as he was from this area earlier in his life, still has family there, and him getting asked about 9/11. I can see the turmoil in his eyes. Both were terrible, but he almost gave up on justice on Srebrenica.

8. acmeaviator says:

While deeply troubling, I find it impossible to avoid the question of comparing the evil which we excoriate others for with out own actions here in the US. We acknowledge officially that 100,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed by US forces (the unofficial counts are significantly higher) but we refuse to even hint that someone at some level should be held accountable for them. No, we did not tie their hands behind their backs and shoot them into a mass grave…but is killing them in their homes or by remote control from a thousand miles away any less of a brutality?

Jasmina, I admire your honesty and bravery. I am Serbian too, and I always insist that it’s important for every nation to condemn its own crimes. Sometimes I find it disappointing that not everyone thinks that way. It saddens me to see even small group of Serbs support Mladic. At the same time, most don’t realize that genocide of Srebrenica didn’t happen out of the blue. Prior to that gruesome event, Naser Oric, commander of muslim forces in Srebrenica had been launching attacks from this UN protected zone, killing around 3500 people according to some estimates. This doesn’t justify Mladic, but begs a question why Oric only got 3 years and now walks free. This happens all around the world, people killing each other, and in some cases we call them liberators and heroes, and in other cases we call them criminals. If you ask me, once you go down that road of killing civilians to achieve your goals you are not a hero, no matter what you’ve done before or what you do after that.